Old 24-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Problem from the Adirondacks

Iris Cohen wrote:

The problem is that I have always wanted to have a hemlock bonsai, so far
without success.

snip

The other question is, what kind of pot should I use? Would a shallow landscape
tray be suitable for hemlocks?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Iris:
I have several hemlocks, and find that they are indeed amenable to shallow pots
because they generally have a shallow root system in the wild anyway.

The thing I have found in terms of success is to keep them where they are for
several years. That's generally true of most trees.

FWIW I have three out of my four hemlocks in full sun, one in partial shade, and it
doesn't seem to bother them yet. I am thinking of switching to partial shade soon
with the summer coming.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37