Old 08-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Acer mould!! Help!

Hi.

I have just noticed that some of my acers have a light

white/grey
mould in dots on some of the leaves. any ideas on which

fungicide or
bacterialcide I could use to get rid of this mould?

You probably should ID what it is first. I don't think the UK
has such things as Agricultural Extension Agents, but if you can
find a plant disease expert you'd do well to take some leaves in
to him or her. Maybe a nursery could help.

Meanwhile, try not to water the trees from the top -- wetting the
leaves. Alcohol on a swab and wiped on the leaves can get rid of
a light infection (TEST a leaf first to see if damage occurs
after a day passes!).

Move the trees into full sun, at least for a while.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I have just noticed that some of my acers have a light white/grey
mould in dots on some of the leaves. any ideas on which fungicide or
bacterialcide I could use to get rid of this mould?

Doesn't sound like bacteria, so scratch that off the list. Are you sure it isn't a mineral deposit? Even highly trained plant pathologists can mistake a crysalline mineral deposit for powdery mildew. Examine with a handlens; if that doesn't clarify thi
ngs, wet with water and rub gently; if the spot returns in a day, it's not a mineral deposit.

And if it's not a mineral deposit, you need to find out what it is, and THEN figure out what treatment to use. If it's powdery mildew, better air circulation may be the solution.

---
Nina Shishkoff, highly trained plant pathologist.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Brent Walston

At 08:34 AM 6/8/04 -0400, Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Doesn't sound like bacteria, so scratch that off the list. Are you sure
it isn't a mineral deposit? Even highly trained plant pathologists can
mistake a crysalline mineral deposit for powdery mildew. ...

How true. Nina will appreciate this. Last year, during my annual Ag
inspection, the inspector brought one of the hotshots from the state with
him to see the nursery. They did all the usual stuff, found a few
interesting plants, a few bugs, a few small spots of disease. Just before
they left, the hotshot discovers a small bit of whitish fuzz on the stem of
a Japanese maple. He gets all excited, calls over me and the inspector.
Gets out his hand lens and stares intently at it. Being me usual rotten
self, I let him ponder awhile. Finally he says "what IS this stuff". It's
spun polyester that has wrapped around the branch from the Remay crop cover.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] *** [IBC] Acer mould!! Help! Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 08-06-2004 04:34 PM
Acer mould!! Help! dgdgdg Bonsai 0 08-06-2004 04:34 PM
pond fish - 4 years old with mould - please help. Ms C. Peach Gardening 2 05-05-2004 11:02 PM
linocera - grey mould on leaves - help! Richard United Kingdom 3 13-07-2003 11:14 PM
linocera - grey mould on leaves - help! Richard United Kingdom 0 08-07-2003 11:26 PM