Old 14-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Roy Bohn

Default [IBC] Root graft on Acer Plamatum

Can the seedlings of Sugar Maple, of which I have hundereds, be used to root
graft onto an Acer Palmatum to improve the one sided base? The J. maple base
dia. is now 1 1/4". This work is planned for next spring.

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups – now 3 months FREE!
http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm...ave/direct/01/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Steven Wachs

I do not believe A sugar maple would be used as A root stock for an Acer
palmatum. The basic Green or red palmatum have pretty strong roots They naturalize
well where I am on LI NY. Grafting is used to keep the Acer Palmatum
Cultivators true. There several hundred cultivators of Acer Palmatum. Grafting Is the
only true method of keeping each culture
I collect Acer Palmatum. I have about 40 different trees.

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Roy Bohn wrote:

Can the seedlings of Sugar Maple, of which I have hundereds, be used to root
graft onto an Acer Palmatum to improve the one sided base? The J. maple base
dia. is now 1 1/4". This work is planned for next spring.

I have been wondering the same thing, Roy. I have the exact same situation.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-06-2004, 01:04 AM
OlBlue

I don't believe you can. or I've never heard of anyone using sugar
Maple on acer palmatum. I have read of using Sugar maple and acer
rubrum, red maple. You
could pose this question to the folks on The Maple Society webpage .
There are some really,truley, longtime maple guys that hang out there,
and I'm sure they would know. I would use small
green palmatum seedlings or cuttings to do an approach graft,at root
level.
I have had good results in the spring, by
rootpruning the tap roots or vertical roots, and wounding the area
where you want roots. Apply spaghnam moss, and soil. Basicly you are
setting up an air layer, or ground layer I guess. Anyway green Maples
usually respond well and put out many radial roots.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Blue

--
OlBlue

olblue
OlBlue's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...fo&userid=1197
View this thread: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...?threadid=7078

[IBC] root graft Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 02-02-2005 12:51 AM
To graft or not to graft???? Rogerx Roses 5 07-08-2004 08:25 PM
[IBC] Root Graft Roberto Alday Delgadillo Bonsai 1 14-06-2004 09:03 PM
[IBC] root thread graft Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 28-04-2003 10:08 AM
[IBC] root thread graft Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 9 26-04-2003 11:32 AM