Old 28-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Dan Voicu

Default [IBC] Root Stimulators

I've taken cuttings from a couple of maples to see if I can make them
trees. I've cut off the bark at the bottom, stuck them in a liquid root
stimulator, cut off come leaves, and put the cuttings in moist peat moss.
First question: when can I expect them to make roots? And second question,
which kind of root stimulator is considered better, the powder or the
liquid?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Jim Lewis

I've taken cuttings from a couple of maples to see if I can
make them
trees. I've cut off the bark at the bottom, stuck them in a

liquid root
stimulator, cut off come leaves, and put the cuttings in moist

peat moss.
First question: when can I expect them to make roots? And

second question,
which kind of root stimulator is considered better, the powder

or the
liquid?

If by "root stimulator" you mean products like Rootone, etc. and
its liquid counterparts, used for rooting cuttings, then the
answer is "none of the above." Those kinds of materials actually
IMPAIR root development when applied to ROOT TISSUES.

They are meant to stimulate root development on STEM tissue.

There are various products on the market that are touted to
improve root development and to stimulate flagging plants.
Whether they do or not is open to debate, but unlike the use of a
rooting hormone like Rootone or its liquid companions that at
least don't seem to hurt anything. These include "Roots", "Roots
Plus" and "Roots 2." I've only used Roots Plus, and it hasn't
hurt. :-/

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++