Old 05-07-2004, 05:02 PM
randi sharp

Default [IBC] "Drenching"

We were discussing the effectiveness of various fungicides on Chinese Elms as well as various appication methods and someone mentioned that the chemical they were using suggested 'drenching' the roots.' I had been spraying and since the fungus was sprea
d by water fron one leaf to another this sounded promising. When I asked what that entailed, they replied "drenching" looking at me as if I was from another planet..so I asked you mean to soak..as in imersion and their reply, "No....drench." So I left i
t at that..drenching, now is that when one waters through & through with the fungicide or is that more like an imersion? Or better yet, does it matter? I would have thought that if the fungicide was systemic it would not require 'drencing' however if the
object is to 'soak' the soil to eliminate spores, then perhaps a drenching is in order!

On another note....I wa sout early to visit with my trees to ensure that the Japanese Beetles were still at bay and decided to feed the trees with fish emulsion since we had yet another nightly 'drenching' leaving the raingauge with 2 new inches of rain.
After completing the 'stinky' task, I went out to the car and met by a neighbor coming in from an early jog. ""Smell that?" he asked "What?" I replied..."Smells like someone went out early and caught a nice catch maybe there's going to be fish fry this
evening" he said....."Could be' I said as I turned and went in with a smile.

Guess I'll cook-out on the grill tonight and invite him over... for burgers instead.

Randi Sharp
Richmond Va

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Brent Walston

At 07:37 AM 7/5/04 -0700, randi sharp wrote:
We were discussing the effectiveness of various fungicides on Chinese
Elms as well as various appication methods and someone mentioned that the
chemical they were using suggested 'drenching' the roots.' I had been
spraying and since the fungus was spread by water fron one leaf to another
this sounded promising. When I asked what that entailed, they replied
"drenching" looking at me as if I was from another planet..so I asked you
mean to soak..as in imersion and their reply, "No....drench." So I left
it at that..drenching, now is that when one waters through & through with
the fungicide or is that more like an imersion? Or better yet, does it
matter? I would have thought that if the fungicide was systemic it would
not require 'drencing' however if the object is to 'soak' the soil to
eliminate spores, then perhaps a drenching is in order!

Randi

Drenching is accomplished exactly the same way that liquid fertilizer
application is achieved. You water it in from above as if you were watering
the plant, except you should do it when the soil is still wet (but fully
drained) so as not to waste fungicide solution (or fertilizer for that
matter) just getting the soil to 'relax' and expand to fully accept the
solution. Water it in until it begins to drain from the bottom of the pot,
thus saturating the soil and rootball. Keep the plant out of the rain or
irrigation until it needs watering again if possible for maximum effect.
Some fungicides will even come with directions for the volume of solution
to use for a given volume of soil.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Nina Shishkoff

So I left it at that..drenching, now is that when one waters through &
through with the fungicide or is that more like an imersion? Or better
yet, does it matter? I would have thought that if the fungicide was
systemic it would not require 'drencing' however if the object is to
'soak' the soil to eliminate spores, then perhaps a drenching is in
order!

Some systemic pesticides travel *only* up from the roots; others will
move small distances in the leaf tissue. Each pesticide is different.
Generally a "drench" is recommended if uptake occurs in the root, or
if the targeted organ is the root.

Nina