Old 19-07-2004, 12:02 AM
April1201

Default [IBC] Fungus?

My tree is a 12 year old magnolia stellata. It's about 16 inches high. I'm in
Washington State. The weather is mostly 70's in the summer, sometimes hotter,
and the 40's in the winter. We get lost of RAIN. It lives in my backyard in
the sun with late afternood shade.

Right now the tree is in a square pot. It won't go into a bonsai pot till the
year after next, maybe next year. I have to wait and see how I feel.

There appears to be three different kinds of fungus(?) on it. The white lacey
stuff, small yellow clumps, and where I scrape the fungus off white little
polka dot stuff is moving in. I'm going to go to the extension office and talk
to them as another poster suggested.

Subject: [IBC] Fungus?
From: (Billy M. Rhodes)
Date: 07/08/2004 9:15 AM Pacific Standard Time
In a message dated 7/8/2004 12:02:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

The year before last my tree got that white lacey stand out kind of
fungus(?)
along with some flatter yellow semi-fluffy stuff. I've seen it at work and
the
crew says it doesn't hurt anything, yet I can absolutely tell how the trees
with it are dying out and losing foilage/needles.

I've been scraping it off. When I do my leaf cutting it will be easier for
awhile. Is there some kind of cure for this stuff? The bark on the trunk is
discolored from it.

What species is your tree. Where are you keeping it? Where in general do
you live
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislik of Whitefish, Montana, Chase Rosade of New Hope,
PA, and Ben Oki of California.
Old 19-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim Lewis

There appears to be three different kinds of fungus(?) on it.
The white lacey
stuff, small yellow clumps, and where I scrape the fungus off

white little
polka dot stuff is moving in. I'm going to go to the extension

office and talk
to them as another poster suggested.

Well, your soil is too wet and it probably doesn't drain. In
otherwords, it's not a bonsai-type soil.

Only -- repeat, only! -- water when the soil an inch or so below
the surface feels DRY.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
[IBC] Trident Fungus Brian Berggoetz Bonsai 1 05-04-2003 02:56 PM
[IBC] Bug or Fungus? Mike Ryan Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] Insect, fungus or nothing to worry about? Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 2 11-03-2003 03:20 AM
[IBC] Mold or Fungus Ben Griffin Bonsai 0 08-03-2003 07:21 PM