Old 14-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Fwd: [IBC] Leaf cutting

--- Kitsune Miko wrote:
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:52:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kitsune Miko
Subject: [IBC] Leaf cutting
To: Alan Walker

As I understand it, it weakens the tree less if
there
is a feeding mechanism left in place. Also the
resulting leafes might be even smaller as they don't
have to shoot out and feed the whole plant.

I recently defoilated and repotted some shohin
trident
maples. The resulting leaf size was almost if not
the
same size as the ones I cut off.

Kitsune Miko

--- Alan Walker wrote:
Jim: My understanding of the benefit of only

cutting
part of the
leaf was simply to prevent damage to the axillary
buds under the
petioles.

Alan Walker