Old 23-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Roberto Alday Delgadillo

Default [IBC] Need help with a Juniperus

Hi,

I have a MAJOR problem with a Juniperus that was given to me about two years ago. Let me start by giving you some history about this tree. A friend of mine give me the tree as a birthday present, I guess he bought it on one of the most fancy nurseries in
Mexico City and of course the tree was beautiful by then and that is where my problems begun.

At the beginning and as I knew very little about bonsais, I placed it on the TV room near to a window. Everything seems to go find with it until last winter, when it starts to loose some green and become to get dry and brown. I used to water it three time
s a week or a little more often if I assumed it needed more water.

After I realized it was getting dry, I took it to my Bonsai teacher (as you can imagine, I am taking bonsai classes) and he told me that the tree needed new soil, so he change it and do some medium pruning (he took out some minor branches and get rid of a
ll the dead parts), also he rearrange the nebari.

After that, I put the tree back on my TV room as it was before and, in my opinion, the tree starts to recover as new buds were coming out, but just in some branches as the other were still getting dry. So I decided to move it outside with some of my other
s trees, and I guess that he didn't like it or he got a terrible disease that is killing him.

Right now I still have it outside in a place where it can receive direct sun at midday (from 1:00 to 3:00) and the rest is pretty well illuminated, also, the place has fine ventilation and I water the tree four times a week.

Now it still have some new buds, but very few, as a matter of fact I am pretty sure that the tree will dye soon if I don't do something really fast.

So, I will appreciate any help you can provide me, even more, my tree will be more grateful with you all.

"Saludos" from Mexico City,

Roberto

P.S. I am including a link to a site where I posted some pictures of the tree http://public.fotki.com/RobertoAD/bonsais-1/junipero/.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 23-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Dad

Dear Roberto,
Juniperis is an outdoor plant, especially in Mexico City.
Keeping it indoors is a sure way to kill it. Now that it is outside, it
still carries the weakness which it developed while in your TV room. Be
patient with it, pray a lot, and good luck!
Marty

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Tom Kehoe

Roberto,

Junipers like lots of sun, and while they can endure long dry periods, they
also like plety of water, as long as their soil drains really well. Two or
three hours of sun a day is not going to be enough sun to keep it healthy.
And if that's all the sun it's getting, then watering also become
problematic, because without the sunlight, they won't drink in the water in
the pot.

There are a couple of things you can do to improve it's health: Fertilize
with a decent liquid fertilizer once a month, but only at half strength or
less. Put a teaspoon full of epsom salts in a two-gallon watering can and
give your juniper a dose. That should help it green up. And adding a few
drops of superthrive the next time you water won't hurt, either -- the
active ingredient in it is Vitamin B, which really helps develop the
foliage.

Tom Kehoe
Palm Bay, FL

news:003201c470bd$05f68b70$31b541c8@institutld6am2 ...