Old 29-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Know your enemies

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Craig said:

have several Tsuga canadiensis (hemlocks) and all are completely free
of any pests. I would think that if they were adelgids that they
would go
after the hemlocks first. Anyway, the insecticidal soap works.

I say:

You need to know your enemies one step better: hemlock adelgids will
go after hemlocks, but other species may prefer other hosts. There
are larch adelgids, spruce adelgids,pine leaf adelgids, pine *bark*
adelgids, etc. I have the book "Insects that feed on trees and
shrubs" by Johnson and Lyon (Comstock Press), which is a good general
insect book for the plant pathologist. Another good book is "Diseases
and pests of ornamental plants" by Pascal Pirone (Wiley-Interscience),
although it is a bit expensive (79.00 when I bought it).

Anyway, an adelgid is just an aphid with a waxy build-up problem.

Nina

I'll pass on the book, thanks. I don't have insect problems here other than aphids
on my quaking aspen, the mealybugs or whatever produce the white stuff on the newer
growth of my pines (which doesn't seem to affect them although I treat it
occasionally), japanese beetles going after my zelkova, and occasional caterpillars
on deciduous trees. I have told Anita that I have very few problems with bugs up
here so her trees should be very happy here, whereas down there she has to deal
with bagworms and a other assorted nasties.

Living in a colder climate has its advantages. Bugs have to winter in the ground
in order to survive. They don't like the cold.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++