Old 01-08-2004, 04:48 PM
camocarmen

Default Seeds for Beginners???

I got interested in bonsai when I lived in Houston. I have a few "beginner"
ones ( Ficus, Juniper, Fukien, Bougainvillea, Jade) that are doing well.
But, unfortunately, the only bonsais around here come from Lowe's.
Which seeds are easiest to grow in Louisiana (80 miles NW of New Orleans)? I
believe that I'm in zone 8/9. I was thinking of ordering them online. Any
reliable websites would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your help,
camocarmen

Old 01-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Seeds for Beginners???

Camocarmen: You can certainly grow bonsai from seeds. Indeed,
many good bonsaiists do this. However, even those who do will
tell you that most of their bonsai start their training beyond
the seedling stage.
There are many trees in Louisiana which are suitable for
bonsai. Included among these a
Azalea, Rhododendron (many varieties)
American Elm, Ulmus americana
Bald Cypress, Taxodium distichum*
Boxwood, Buxus microphylla
Crape Myrtle, Lagerstroemia indica*
Chinese Elm, Ulmus parvifolia (also Catlin elm)
Cedar Elm, Ulmus crassifolia*
Hophornbeam or Ironwood, Ostrya virginiana*
Hornbeam, Carpinus caroliniana*
Juniper, Juniperus (many varieties)
Japanese Black Pine, Pinus thunbergii
Maples, Acer (Japanese, trident, red swamp*)
River Birch, Betula nigra*
Spruce Pine, Pinus glabra*
Sweet Gum, Liquidambar styraciflua*
Tupelo Gum, Nyssa aquatica*
Water Elm, Planera aquatica*
Yaupon Holly, Ilex vomitoria*
*Native tree to Louisiana
You do not have to learn bonsai in isolation. There are
many people who enjoy bonsai in Louisiana. If you are 80 miles
NW of New Orleans, then you are probably near Baton Rouge which
has the Louisiana Bonsai Society, the oldest in the state. You
can find them through their web site at:
http://www.vrtx1.com/bonsai/lbs.html
A few miles east, in Covington, is the newly formed
Northshore Bonsai Society which is still in its organizational
stage. It will meet at Guy Guidry's Bonsai Northshore. You can
track it down at: http://bonsainorthshore.com
Another commercial resource in Houma (in case you are
west of the Mississippi River) is Living Arts Bonsai run by Dave
& Elaine Lapeyrouse. They have a web site at:
http://www.livingartbonsai.com
Welcome to bonsai. Hope to see you around.
Alan Walker

I got interested in bonsai when I lived in Houston. I have a few
"beginner"
ones ( Ficus, Juniper, Fukien, Bougainvillea, Jade) that are
doing well.
But, unfortunately, the only bonsais around here come from
Lowe's.
Which seeds are easiest to grow in Louisiana (80 miles NW of New
Orleans)? I believe that I'm in zone 8/9. I was thinking of
ordering them online. Any reliable websites would be greatly
appreciated.

Many thanks for your help,
camocarmen

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Bonsainut

Cam,
Welcome to the fraternity. You have so many options ahead of you.
Seeds are great but sometimes beginners get bored waiting for them to
devolope. How about considering any garden center(nursery) as a place
to treasure hunt for potential bonsai stock.

Look for small leaved stocky trunked low branched trees in ones and
fives. Get education on how to do creation design and go to it. Much
cheaper than buying "Finished" Home depot and alot more fun.

Good luck .

--
Bonsainut

Good growing!
Bonsainut's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...info&userid=48
View this thread: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...?threadid=7753

Old 02-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Steve wachs

Hi
seeds are not the way to go for you as a beginner. seeds are ok You can
eventually get a tree to make into a bonsai. It will take years until you get
anything suitable for Bonsai you can make many bonsai in that time.

I am sure you have nurseries in La. Why Do not you hunt around in a few for
something to chop up? That is what make good Bonsai.

Junipers are always good. Japanese Maples. Azaleas. Azaleas happen to be a
very easy tree to work with and you obtain good results in a relatively short
time.

SteveW

Old 02-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

I think one learns a lot from growing a plant from
seed. The thing is, do you have the time and patience
to see it become a tree?

I would start with some local one gallon nursery stock
that has smallish leaves and short internodes. Play
with stying that while growing seeds.

There are many things one can do to seedlings that you
cannot do to a more mature plant. You can encourage
good nebari, you can start shaping the trunk to what
you want instead of taking what you get. Seedlings
are good for groves.

Kitsune Miko

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 08-08-2004, 02:42 AM
camocarmen

Many thanks to all that answered my e-mail. You all were very helpful. I
appreciate your insight.
camo