Old 15-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] First visit to bonsai group also becomes last.

In a message dated 8/15/2004 5:27:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

How I wish I lived in area where there was more than one bonsai club, and
those that are in it actually know about bonsai.
Honestly, sitting here, reading post I can learn more than visiting the
local club.

Although local clubs do vary in quality, affiliation is a powerful
thing. It can open doors such as tours that are not otherwise available.
It also depends upon how you learn. I find that the IBC is great and
books/magazines also help, but seeing and touching hands on is better.
Give the local club a few more chances. Hopefully they do more that
critique each others trees.
As far as conflicting horticultural advise is concerned, it is not
limited to Bonsai. I never say never (or very seldom anyway) because as soon as
you do, you will find someone who has done it.
Regardless of all the learning, formal or otherwise, horticulture and
bonsai come down to you and how you do it.
BTW, blue pots are popular with Malsai growers, but traditionally a
glazed, colored pot is only used to display a flowering Bonsai when in flower
and the pot color should compliment the flower color.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++