Old 15-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Andrew G

Default First visit to bonsai group also becomes last.

Hi everyone.
How I wish I lived in area where there was more than one bonsai club, and
those that are in it actually know about bonsai.
Honestly, sitting here, reading post I can learn more than visiting the
local club.
I took my Sunday afternoon out to visit a local bonsai club I had been told
about a while back. Reluctant to travel to the nearby town, terrible place,
I tried it out.
First 10mins at the meeting they spent talking about last weeks meeting.
Then I had to introduce myself, let them know what I know about bonsai and
so on. I explained I'm a horticulturist by trade, have read and been into
bonsai for about the past 5yrs, learnt soley from the net and books.
I was quickly pulled up when I somehow mentioned it originated in CHina.
That led to a heated discussion amongst others as to whether its Chinese or
Japanese. By now I was wanting to leave.
Then I got to show my bonsai, 2 of them. First, my Port Jackson Fig. Some
really liked it, others disliked it, one even offered to buy it, as it was
passed around. I learnt nothing from it, and had I took each persons
suggestion as to what to do with it, well, lest say I would have been left
with a trunk in a different coloured pot. I couldn't understand the problem
with a fig in a dark blue pot.
NExt the buxus. Some liked it, again, some didn't. Fairs fair, everyone has
an opinion. But again, could not learn from anything they told me.
Rest of the meeting was some other peoples bonsai, still learnt nothing.
When I asked about tips on pruning and so on all I got was a couple of tips,
the rest suggested reading books, and gave reccomendations.
All in all the visit was a "not going back to that".
Seriously I have and will learn more from books and visiting here.
On a similar note, I bought a book on Friday, "Bonsai. It's art, science,
history and philosophy" by Deborah R Koreshoff.
Pretty good book. Perhaps a little detailed for the beginner, but still
looks good. Only just started reading it but has some good advice in it.
Funny thing that I do find with it is that Deborahs book mentions Moreton
Bay figs as bonsai. Her father wrote a book on bonsai, and the particular
one I have is for beginners. It mentions Moreton Bay figs very poor as
bonsai due to large gaps in internodes and very hard to reduce leaf size.
I had one for about 4yrs that I collected as a seedling. I could not reduce
to leaf size at all, then recently read about they aren't too good a
specimen, so I threw it out, well not literally. Now I read Deborah
mentioning them and kinda regret getting rid of it.
So just a small contradiction, so possibly others to come. Still, again, not
a bad book, I like it. Don't go for the little "sayings" mentioned
throughout it. Little corny I think.
Andrew
Mid North Coast
New south wales, Australia