Old 01-09-2004, 07:21 AM
Theo

Default Seeds question

Someone in the Italian Bonsai NG was asking why his carmona is not
making fruit and someone else has fruits on it
how to differenciate if there is a male tree and a female tree ?

my personal qestion that stems form the previous one,
I have few maples , trident deshojo sangko khaku and oridono
none of them has ever made flowers nor seeds
the oldest deshojo must be actually about 45 y.o. .. and never did any
flowers nor seeds ..
it is because it is a potted tree ?
thanks

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 01-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Andrew G

"Theo" wrote in message
Someone in the Italian Bonsai NG was asking why his carmona is not
making fruit and someone else has fruits on it
how to differenciate if there is a male tree and a female tree ?

Can't help in regards to whether there is a female and male tree, but
anything planted from seed may have different degrees of variation from a
parent plant, one being a lack of fruits/flowers.
Other factors could be growing conditions with regards to light and
nutrients.
Some plants may take up to 5yrs to flower if sown from seed, or even never
seed, yet a cutting taken from same plant may flower next season.

my personal qestion that stems form the previous one,
I have few maples , trident deshojo sangko khaku and oridono
none of them has ever made flowers nor seeds
the oldest deshojo must be actually about 45 y.o. .. and never did any
flowers nor seeds ..
it is because it is a potted tree ?

Generally no, same answer as above. However if the "potted tree" isn't in
the correct conditions then it may not flower.
Cheers
ANdrew
--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales

Old 01-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Theo

Andrew G wrote:

"Theo" wrote in message

Someone in the Italian Bonsai NG was asking why his carmona is not
making fruit and someone else has fruits on it
how to differenciate if there is a male tree and a female tree ?

Thanks Andrew thanks a lot
Theo