Old 15-03-2007, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Capsicum seeds or sweet pepper seeds

I planted some sweet pepper seeds in some 3inch pots with compost. They
were Thompson and Morgan seeds named Pepper Gourmet, they are a swarf
compact orange fruit. They are in the conservatory which is heated but none
are germinating. They have been in 2 weeks and nothing and don't seem to be
rotten. Every thing else has germinated ie carrot, cucumber, lettuce,
spring onion, beetroot, radish.

Any suggestions. Although packet says cover with a fine sprinkling of
compost it then says don't exclude light, surely if you cover with compost
light will be excluded. Packet also says germinate at 18-21C or 65-20
(SIC)F obviously the 20F is a misprint.

Thanks

Old 18-03-2007, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

doobydoobydo wrote:

I planted some sweet pepper seeds in some 3inch pots with compost. They
were Thompson and Morgan seeds named Pepper Gourmet, they are a swarf
compact orange fruit. They are in the conservatory which is heated but none
are germinating. They have been in 2 weeks and nothing and don't seem to be
rotten.

Still no joy?

When I read your post, I first intended to reply that my pepper seeds
("cherry bomb") were similarly idle. I sowed them in small pots on a
light cool windowsill on Feb 18th, but after doing nothing for a month,
they've almost all germinated within a few days of each other around
Friday.

Every thing else has germinated ie carrot, cucumber, lettuce,
spring onion, beetroot, radish.

I've never grown peppers from seed before, but I've read they behave
like tomatoes. That may be true, but the tomatoes I sowed in the same
conditions germinated within a week.

Any suggestions.

Patience?

Peter
Old 20-03-2007, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter Robinson" wrote in message
doobydoobydo wrote:

I planted some sweet pepper seeds in some 3inch pots with compost. They
were Thompson and Morgan seeds named Pepper Gourmet, they are a swarf
compact orange fruit. They are in the conservatory which is heated but
none
are germinating. They have been in 2 weeks and nothing and don't seem to
be
rotten.

Still no joy?

When I read your post, I first intended to reply that my pepper seeds
("cherry bomb") were similarly idle. I sowed them in small pots on a
light cool windowsill on Feb 18th, but after doing nothing for a month,
they've almost all germinated within a few days of each other around
Friday.

Peter

Yep suddenly most came up together 2 days ago. The packet says it takes
7-10 days to germination but was more like 3weeks (21 days!). The
conservatory is bright and warm as well. So you are right all that was
needed was some patience. Meanwhile the cucumbers are 6inches tall already
and I did'nt realise 1 or 2 is enough for one person (one that eats them) I
have 5 germinated. Same with the tomato plants I seem to have got over
enthuasiastic with them and have 30 that have germinated............ooops!
Still have been reading http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=1
and there are some good suggestions for making passata and a mouli type
machine that makes the juice for the passata on the site.

P.S Thanks for answering thought I was in coventry or something.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

doobydoobydo wrote:

Yep suddenly most came up together 2 days ago.

Still doing ok, I trust. Mine are still happy enough, but not growing
anywhere near as fast as my tomatoes (which I potted on and staked
today).

Meanwhile the cucumbers are 6inches tall already
and I did'nt realise 1 or 2 is enough for one person (one that eats them) I
have 5 germinated. Same with the tomato plants I seem to have got over
enthuasiastic with them and have 30 that have germinated............ooops!

I thought I was going to have that problem. I'd guess two decent plants
would be enough for me and I've got seven strong looking ones barring
mishaps. So I spoke to a friend today who sometimes grows tomatoes.
"How many would you like," I asked.
"Not many," she said. "Can I have six?"

So I sowed some more pots today

Peter
Old 03-04-2007, 02:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter Robinson" wrote in message

Still doing ok, I trust. Mine are still happy enough, but not growing
anywhere near as fast as my tomatoes (which I potted on and staked
today).

Yes, the peppers are still growing , and still in heated south facing
conservatory. But they are like yours growing very slowly (maybe thats what
they do, haven't grown them before).

Toms in conservatory going strong and very well but interestingly some I put
in the mini greenhouse seem to have stopped growing, think they might die,
but with the amount I have they won't be missed. ; -)

Managed to get rid of 20 toms via hubbys work and a friend.

The cucumbers I potted on also still in conservatory shouldn't put them out
yet, are looking really good, growing strong.

Also still in conservatory, basil very slow, Rom Lettuce once potted on
going strong, rocket slow. Some Rom in in the raised bed under a cloche,
they are healthy enough but not growing as quickly as indoors.

But I think maybe I germinated everything probably about a month earlier
than I should have, even for the south coast, especially with the weather as
it has been. Glorious today though.............think I got sunstroke mowing
the lawn.........hahaha.

Bet your toms you sowed grow just as well as the last ones.