Old 18-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Jim Harris

Default [IBC] Carl Rosner's scale treatment

I have been searching for Carl's homemade scale treatment recipe. I
know its on the archives but can't seem to get it to come up in doing
a search. I can't find Carl's e-mail address to e-mail him directly.

Carl if you read this or if anyone else has it could you send it to me please.

Thanks,
Jim H.
S.E. Michigan, zone 6

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Steven Wachs

when i get scale i use fine oil spray. it kills scale. once in a while I
have to give affected trees a second treatment. I sray the entire tree
epecially under the leaves. it called ultra fine oil.

Steve Wachs

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 18-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Carl Rosner

Jim:
Here I am, and here's the recipe:

SOAP solution!

I pour a solution of 1 to 2 tablespoon dishwashing detergent, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil into a plastic gallon and slowly add

water to fill the gallon jug. I fill this solution from the gallon bottle into a spray bottle and just before using I add 1 to 2 two caps

full (from the rubbing alcohol bottle) of rubbing alcohol and spray immediately. If you do not use the full bottle of spray, I

suggest the next time you are going to use the soap/alcohol solution add the same amount of rubbing alcohol again, since the

alcohol will evaporate. I store this soap/oil solution in the gallon jug for months on end. It does not seem to go bad.

Spray on plants covering all leaf and stem surfaces. You may have to spray from three to four times with intervals of three

days. I have eliminated almost any kind of pest that have attacked my trees, including scale.

I do not wash off the spray and have seen no adverse reaction to the trees from this mixture.

Best regards,

Carl

Old 19-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Kevin Bailey

I wonder what Rubbing Alcohol in the U.S. of A equates to in the UK?
Would methylated spirits do the job?

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

[...]

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Anthony Toft

I wonder what Rubbing Alcohol in the U.S. of A equates to in the UK?
Would methylated spirits do the job?

Rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl alcohol

I wouldn't expect meths to be very good for your plants. Over here I think
methylated spirits are referred to as mineral spirits. At least they are
used for similar jobs (cleaning paint brushes and other oily things)
Old 20-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Steven Wachs

ON SCALE I USE ULTRA FINE OIL SPRAY. IT KILLS THE SCALE. I SPRAY IT ON THE
ENTIRE TREE ESPECIALLY THE UNDERSIDE OF THE LEAVES. ONCE IN A WHILE I HAVE TO
DO A SECOND APPLICATION, BUT USUALLY IT'S NOT NEEDED.
ULTRA FINE OIL IS LIGHTER THAN DORMANT OIL.

Steve Wachs

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Steven Wachs

ON SCALE I USE ULTRA FINE OIL SPRAY. IT KILLS THE SCALE. I SPRAY IT ON THE
ENTIRE TREE ESPECIALLY THE UNDERSIDE OF THE LEAVES. ONCE IN A WHILE I HAVE TO
DO A SECOND APPLICATION, BUT USUALLY IT'S NOT NEEDED.
ULTRA FINE OIL IS LIGHTER THAN DORMANT OIL.

Steve Wachs

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Carl Rosner's scale treatment Jim Harris Bonsai 0 18-09-2004 07:20 PM
[IBC] Carl Rosner's scale treatment Jim Harris Bonsai 0 18-09-2004 07:20 PM
Scale Treatment Mary A. Smith Orchids 1 30-07-2003 10:07 PM
[IBC] Request for C. Rosner's homemade scale potion Carl L Rosner Bonsai 4 28-04-2003 05:44 PM
Request for C. Rosner's homemade scale potion Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 26-04-2003 11:20 PM