Old 23-09-2004, 10:28 AM

Default Jack Pine question

I have a Jack Pine seedling which is about 2 1/2 years old. It's
5-inches tall and has a trunk which is about 5 mm thick. It sports
needles which are 4 inches long. The bonsai book I own advises that
two-needle pines should have all their needles removed in the Autumn
(with the exception of 6 pairs at the end of each limb.) This seems
to make sense in my case since the needles are so *long* and their
sheer weight is making my seedling lean to one side. Should I go
ahead with this procedure on such a young specimen? What about the
remaining needles on the ends? Should I trim their length down?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 23-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Iris Cohen

I have a Jack Pine seedling which is about 2 1/2 years old. It's 5-inches
tall and has a trunk which is about 5 mm thick. It sports needles which are 4
inches long. The bonsai book I own advises thattwo-needle pines should have
all their needles removed in the Autumn (with the exception of 6 pairs at the
end of each limb.) This seemsto make sense in my case since the needles are so
*long* and their sheer weight is making my seedling lean to one side. Should I
go ahead with this procedure on such a young specimen?

Would you put a 2 year old toddler on a weight-loss diet & send him to Gold's
Gym? Put your baby seedling in the ground and feed it heavily for several
years. It needs all the needles it can hold, as long as it wants them to grow,
until the trunk is fat enough to start training it as a bonsai. I don't know
exactly how long it will take, but in Japan, the bonsai growers plant pine
seedlings for their grandchildren to work on. Meanwhile, buy yourself a 3-5
gallon Scots pine in a garden center, or dig one up in the woods.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 23-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Kitsune Miko

If you treat your seedling as a bonsai, you will
retard its growth. Sounds like a jack pine should be
a larger tree to carry the needle size. If you can,
my advice would be to put your seedling in the ground
and let it go for a couple of years. You do want some
curves in the trunk, which will be easier to do sooner
than later. If you do put it into the ground you
should check the rootage now and then to make sure you
have some feeder roots up high enough so when you dig
out the tree, you can put it into a pot.

Kitsune Miko
--- wrote:

I have a Jack Pine seedling which is about 2
1/2 years old. It's
5-inches tall and has a trunk which is about 5 mm
thick. It sports
needles which are 4 inches long. The bonsai book I
own advises that
two-needle pines should have all their needles
removed in the Autumn
(with the exception of 6 pairs at the end of each
limb.) This seems
to make sense in my case since the needles are so
*long* and their
sheer weight is making my seedling lean to one side.
Should I go
ahead with this procedure on such a young specimen?
What about the
remaining needles on the ends? Should I trim their
length down?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Evergreen
Gardenworks++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott