Old 10-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default [IBC] ADMIN - Longish

Hi Everyone,

L-serv has upgraded it's servers, making EVERYTHING EVEN MORE WONDERFUL than it was before (I guess). My bride says I don't like change, but that's just not true. I don't care if YOU change, -I- just want to be left alone once I get the drift of something.grin

One thing that does look promising is the new spam blocker they have initiated (for example, I only received 86 messages this morning instead of 200 plus). However (there's always a --but-- isn't there), the following really caught my eye.

I quote from L-serv:

All messages to the listname-request address now require sender
confirmation. When a message is received for the listname-request
address, a confirmation message will be sent to the sender. If the
sender replies with "OK" or clicks on a confirmation URL, the
message will then be forwarded on to the non-quiet list owners. If
the sender address is fake, as is the case with most spam messages,
you will not receive it.

This may mean that after you send a post, L-serv will request confirmation from you before posting. Reply "OK" and it will post (this message is my way of testing this). If by chance, you send and your message isn't posted PLEASE LET ME KNOW OFF LIST (like you could do it any other waygrin). FYI, I review the list and the mail at least twice a day, but I've found that many notifications from L-serv have been (until now) a waste of my time to track down. However (there's that --but-- again) I will pay close attention now (until I know everything is running the way --we-- expect it to) to messages form Home-ease advising -problems processing mail from . . . in case I can get a jump on a problem early.

Again, if you experience problems posting, let me know.

Shelly Hurd - List Manager
Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 10-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Jim Lewis

On 10 Nov 2004 at 9:29, Shelly Hurd wrote:

Hi Everyone,

snip

I quote from L-serv:

All messages to the listname-request address now require
sender confirmation. When a message is received for the
listname-request address, a confirmation message will be sent
to the sender. If the sender replies with "OK" or clicks on a
confirmation URL, the message will then be forwarded on to the
non-quiet list owners. If the sender address is fake, as is
the case with most spam messages, you will not receive it.

This may mean that after you send a post, L-serv will request
confirmation from you before posting.

snip

The voice of a few thousand years more experience with Listserv
(it takes that long . . . don't say I didn't warn you ;-)
speaks:

Not to worry. That will not affect mail sent TO THE LIST.

The key words up there were "messages sent to the listname-
(e.g. bonsai-)REQUEST address." EMPHASIS added.

Those are the messages YOU send to the "listowner" (assuming you
don't know who he is -- Shelly) via the address that is at the
bottom of every message here on the mailing list. Most people
would use that address for the "how-do-I-do-this?" kinds of
questions -- going nomail, getting or not getting copies of your
own messages, suddenly not getting mail, etc. It's also the
address to which mail sent by NON-members of the IBC (e.g.
mistakes, or widely broadcast spam, or general inquiries about
the list) is sent. It eliminates spam to the mailing list, but
used to inundate the listowner with the spam instead; now,
apparently, they've "fixed" this. (Why didn't they fix this a
year ago? he asks, plaintively.;-)

So, mail sent to the address will go
as always.

You WILL have to confirm (with an "OK") any messages sent to the
address.

And NONE of this affects IBCers who use the news group,
rec.arts.bonsai.

So, stand at ease, all.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Ancient