Old 04-11-2004, 03:31 PM
jjpsych

Default Help: locating coarse sand as a soil component

Hi,

I am starting to make my own soil, using turface, pine bark, and sand.
I have a bag of Turface, and the screened pine bark. However,I have
not been able to locate any coarse sand at my local garden centers.

I am here in Warner Robins, Georgia (Pretty much on the line between
Zone's 7 and 8). So if anyone knows of a place within say an hour of
Macon, that would be great. But, not the Monastery, I try buy as much
of my stuff from them as possible. It's just they dont sell the
sand/gravel I am looking for seperatley. Granted, they sell premixed
soil, and Akadama.

There are several sand suppliers and quarry's within a reasonable
distance from my house. In talking with one of these places on the
phone, I found that I was not able to describe in their terminology
what I was looking for.

Can anyone advise me on what to say to these guys when I am talking
with them? I am even considering driving to one of these places with
a bag of soil and screens to show them how big (or small) I need the
sand gains to be.

Thanks, in advance

Jay Jimerson