Old 04-11-2004, 03:31 PM
jjpsych

Default Help: locating coarse sand as a soil component

Hi,

I am starting to make my own soil, using turface, pine bark, and sand.
I have a bag of Turface, and the screened pine bark. However,I have
not been able to locate any coarse sand at my local garden centers.

I am here in Warner Robins, Georgia (Pretty much on the line between
Zone's 7 and 8). So if anyone knows of a place within say an hour of
Macon, that would be great. But, not the Monastery, I try buy as much
of my stuff from them as possible. It's just they dont sell the
sand/gravel I am looking for seperatley. Granted, they sell premixed
soil, and Akadama.

There are several sand suppliers and quarry's within a reasonable
distance from my house. In talking with one of these places on the
phone, I found that I was not able to describe in their terminology
what I was looking for.

Can anyone advise me on what to say to these guys when I am talking
with them? I am even considering driving to one of these places with
a bag of soil and screens to show them how big (or small) I need the
sand gains to be.

Thanks, in advance

Jay Jimerson
Old 04-11-2004, 05:45 PM
jim

At 07:31 AM 11/4/2004 -0800, you wrote:
Hi,

I am starting to make my own soil, using turface, pine bark, and sand.
I have a bag of Turface, and the screened pine bark. However,I have
not been able to locate any coarse sand at my local garden centers.

This is a matter if semantics. If you will look for pea gravel in a size
between 1/8 and 1/4 inch you will find the material that you need.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Marty Haber

What people call "sand", or even "coarse sand" can vary greatly. most of
us agree that something with granules in the neighborhood of 1/8" is about
right for general use in bonsai. There are 2 good sources for this size
"sand": masonary yards and pool supply stores. Masons use it in grout, and
pool people as filter material. Once you've found a source, there is one
more thing to watch for: composition of the material offered. Sometimes it
is heavily dosed with lime, something acid-loving plants won't tolerate.
Sometimes it is dosed with sulfur.
Another problem for roots.
Marty
Old 04-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Helena Handbasket

I went to a gravel company nearby the river and got coarse sand from them.
I can't exactly remember what size but I'm thinking it was 15. My husband
said 18 but I'm thinking it was more 15 or maybe 12. The added plus is that
it is a pleasing shade of brown that matches with the soil components a lot
better. It ran me about $1 for 100 lb.. You have to pay a handling charge
of about $10. The more you buy the less the cost overall but it is HEAVY
and I have yet to have gone through the 100 pounds. I have small trees
though. They put it in bags but you'll want them in smaller bags if you
don't want to carry a large bag. Also a tarp under it helps if the bags
break.

--
(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´¨`·. *katie**¤

Old 05-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Alan Walker

Jay: Ask them for blasting sand.

Alan Walker

Old 05-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Jim Lewis

On 4 Nov 2004 at 18:48, Alan Walker wrote:

Jay: Ask them for blasting sand.

Sand blasting sand comes in several grades, too. You will want
the coarsest grade (hard to find unless you live in a town with
many granite buildings that need cleaning).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 05-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Kitsune Miko

I tried that out here in California. What I can get is very fine. I buy aquarium sand from a gravel and sand company.

Kitsune Miko

Alan Walker wrote:
[...]

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 05-11-2004, 03:32 PM
dalecochoy

Old 05-11-2004, 03:32 PM
dalecochoy

Old 05-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Craig Cowing

dalecochoy wrote:

snip

That's why bonsai soil is $30-60 a bag!! I'd
sooner shot myself in the foot than pay that!! When the day comes that I
can't mix up my own soil....It'll be time to drop out of bonsai :)
Regards,
Dale

I've been using a product from Quickrete called "Patio Paver Sand" which I found at
Home Depot. A 50 lb. bag is something like $4 or so. It is a fine gravel used for
putting under patio bricks. Sifting it out I lose maybe 25-30%. The remaining
gravel has sharp edges (I know that's not established as a plus) and is a pleasing
gray color. I think the stone is probably slate or basalt. I'd recommend it as a
good, useful and inexpensive inorganic component fo bonsai soil to be used in
conjunction with Turface.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37
Back safe on the east coast where the ocean is on the right side.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-11-2004, 03:52 PM
dalecochoy

Craig,
I've certainly seen that here in Ohio. I think it's also the same 'Snow
traction" product the road dept uses in areas where they don't use salt ( or
in bad winters when they run out of salt!). I always thought it was
limestone but never really checked on it since I live near where they make
haydite.
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware