Old 15-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Tony

Default Recuperating a picea

Hi all (new here):

A friend has just brought me a picea that I would like to recuperate.
I don't have much experience with bonsai, and have never worked with a
picea, but this is one of those few times (for me at least) that on the
first glance I can see a clear image of what can be done with it.
It has a base of about 20 cm and 3 trunks, the larger two of 7 and 10 cm. It
has a globe shape, and has lost about 60% of its foliage (remaining foliage
is on the larger trunk).

For the moment I would just like to improve its health and vitality.
Any advice or recomendations on repoting, soil type , etc.?

Regards from Spain
Tony

Old 16-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Jim Lewis

On 16 Nov 2004 at 0:41, Tony wrote:

Hi all (new here):

A friend has just brought me a picea that I would like to recuperate.
I don't have much experience with bonsai, and have never worked with a
picea, but this is one of those few times (for me at least) that on the
first glance I can see a clear image of what can be done with it.
It has a base of about 20 cm and 3 trunks, the larger two of 7 and 10 cm. It
has a globe shape, and has lost about 60% of its foliage (remaining foliage
is on the larger trunk).

For the moment I would just like to improve its health and vitality.
Any advice or recomendations on repoting, soil type , etc.?

This time of year I think you are better off leaving the tree
alone. Spend the time between now and spring thinking about
design possibilities and reading up on the requirements of a
spruce. You'll find information on the species he

http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/spruce.html

And most bonsai books have info on the species, too. Use Google
for "spruce bonsai" or "picea bonsai" and see what else comes
up.

Just do NOT overwater. It may stay green in winter, but it too
slows down in cooler weather -- even the relatively warm winters
in Spain.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Just back
from getting my FLU shot. ;-)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 16-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Tony

Thanks Jim,
I see that there is a lot of information about this tree (should have
checked before asking). I have no problem with waiting until spring, time is
sometimes a very good investment !! and in the meantime I'll get familiar
with the species.

Thanks again
Tony

****
****

Borers in Picea Tony Bonsai 10 02-12-2004 04:40 PM
Recuperating a picea Tony Bonsai 0 15-11-2004 11:41 PM
Recuperating a picea Tony Bonsai 0 15-11-2004 11:41 PM
Some brown needles on 'picea omorika' [email protected] United Kingdom 2 28-12-2003 06:19 PM
Picea Breweriana (Brewers Spruce) JAXno United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 06:56 PM