Old 16-11-2004, 07:05 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] It's Power Line tree trimming time again.

I wonder how many other readers have problems with tree trimmers butchering trees near power lines as I seem to every 3-4 years.
The last time the trimmers came through our area my wife and I and a few neighbors were aghast at the trees we saw trimmed as they came our way. Ruined pines/spruce and slingshotted deciduous trees.
As they got near our house my neighbors caved in but I told them no way they'd trim my trees like that.( BTW, I DO have a large pin oak that is right next to lines). A few days later they sent a local power company guy to my house to "talk", and it turned out he lived a few blocks away. He handed me a thick stack of Shigo's notes and figured he'd impressed me. I took him back to my garden and showed him about 200 bonsai in pots and then we started to talk seriously :) We actually got along ok. He had his crew come in a couple days and he stayed with them while we discussed the tree as they trimmed it. They did, actually, a pretty nice job. Certainly better than all my neighbors! He was shocked that I let them take down an ash tree coming up directly under lines ( that I didn't want anyway) and that I ASKED him to trim my Sunburst Locust that was nearing the lines. They rounded it very nicely and I could now spray the damn caterpillars every year w/ no problems.
OK, now 4 years later, enter ASPLUNDH, the new butcherers of the streets coming my way ( last time it was a different company that had the contract) . As they neared my neighborhood they sent out the forward guy . Again I told them no way unless I'm here. A week or so later they came, i was home, I watched them "slingshot" my neighbors and said no way when they said they'd have to take off most of the tree because NOW they go 12 feet from lines and no longer Round out" trimming but either remove, cut side off or "y" cut. He said I'd get a letter about what day someone would be here to do the job and they'd bring cops if need be!!!
I got a letter the other day, no date mentioned, just "within 30 days". OK, I'm here all day anyway. It included a letter from the power companys ARBOREST along with pics of their accepted method of butchering now and an explanation of how the new guidelines are due to RESEARCH explaining that Topping, stubbing or ROUNDING OVER or shaping is no longer a recommended way to do trimming because it , quote, ""eliminates foliage and buds containing next years growth. This stress to the tree stimulates the production of vigorous, crowded, poorly tapered and weakly attached shoots called water-sprouts. Since the use of energy has been redistributed within the tree, it is less resistant to pest problems and prone to decay. The rapid growth is deceiving and is not an indication of good health. Topping destroys the natural structure of the tree and makes it more susceptible to breakage""
Now, again they site Shigo as their back-up and the practices accepted by the American National Standards Institute A300-1995 Standard Practices for Tree Care Operations, The International Society of Arborculture, The National Arborists Association, The American Association of Nurserymen, and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources State Urban Foresters.
Now, I look at their "Acceptable" drawings of how to trim, and I see local large trees cut down to the trunk in the center with untouched long "Y" branches maybe 20-30 feet on either side, or complete sides removed with a half-"Y" side extending way out and I can almost hear these trees cracking in the wind with owners being forced to spend thousands on their removal when a windstorm tears them in half!
Since when does "rounding" a tree while trimming foliage ""increase the chances of decay and disease and significantly decrease the service reliability and tree health"" ??
This group seems more non-tolerating to discussion than the last and it appears the tree trimming company is wanting to do less work for their multi-million dollar contract.
Have others out there had good luck getting these people to "trim nice" when on their property or is this becoming more of a "no questions asked" deal anymore.
I'm wondering if a "no" when they come and forcing them to bring police the third trip would actually get them to "trim nice" to avoid any further hassle or return trip.
Regards,
Dale "Play By The Rules" Cochoy
Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++