GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Microelemnts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/86738-microelemnts.html)

Theo 21-11-2004 08:58 AM

Microelemnts

Hi
I normally give some microelements mixed with the repotting soil
and sometimes I sprinkle some this period of the year on the surface
but when is the best period and how often shouldl micro elements be
given to the bonsai ?
once per ear twice ? more often ..
I agree it all depends about the retention of the soil and the washing
of the same for strong rains
any advice?
Thanks

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Iris Cohen 21-11-2004 02:28 PM

I normally give some microelements mixed with the repotting soil and
sometimes I sprinkle some this period of the year on the surface but when is
the best period and how often shouldl micro elements be given to the bonsai?

Why would you give fertilizer at this time of year, except to indoor bonsai?
Many fertilizers nowadays contain trace elements, including Miracid, Dyna-Gro,
& some of Peters. Your best bet is to rotate among several different brands, &
make sure you give a fertilizer with trace elements about once a month during
the growing season. I don't bother with those organic cakes or other
concoctions, but I found the plants seem to like fish fertilizer and seaweed
extract. I feed Neptune's Harvest about once a month. Just watch out for
yellowjackets when you use it outdoors.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Jim Lewis 21-11-2004 02:30 PM

On 21 Nov 2004 at 9:58, Theo wrote:

Hi
I normally give some microelements mixed with the repotting soil
and sometimes I sprinkle some this period of the year on the surface
but when is the best period and how often shouldl micro elements be
given to the bonsai ?
once per ear twice ? more often ..
I agree it all depends about the retention of the soil and the washing
of the same for strong rains
any advice?
Thanks

The best way is to fertilize with a fertilizer that already
contains microelements, since trees need and use them all year
long (even hibernating trees need their sustenance).

But they don't need MUCH of any one of them -- fractions of a
percent per unit of fertilizer/water -- and adding microelements
yourself to trees in small pots can easily overdose them.

Once a year, assuming your bonsai soil is a free-draining mix
would be far to little; the stuff would vanish in a day or two,
and I do not know how efficiently trees' roots take up the minor
elements.

So, I'd recommend a fertilizer that contains it all so that your
trees have what they need throughout the year.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Marty Haber 21-11-2004 03:37 PM

Yeah, Jim, the word should be written:
"MICRO-elements", so that everyone would know that the emphasis is on first
syllable.

Theo 21-11-2004 04:25 PM

HI

Iris Cohen wrote:

I normally give some microelements mixed with the repotting soil and
sometimes I sprinkle some this period of the year on the surface but when is
the best period and how often shouldl micro elements be given to the bonsai?

Why would you give fertilizer at this time of year, except to indoor bonsai?

microelements are NOT fertilizers
are Iron Cupper Sulphur Molibedenum Barium Zinc
the lack of some of tehse elements provocke chlorosis or malformation
in new growth ins pering or stains on leaves
are very importanta
and often are given togetehr with the Japanese cakes
S correct the soil acidity if is too alkaline because of calcar

Many fertilizers nowadays contain trace elements, including Miracid, Dyna-Gro,
& some of Peters.

in teh States :-) yes not here
Your best bet is to rotate among several different brands, &

I do with the brands I am used to

make sure you give a fertilizer with trace elements about once a month during
the growing season. I don't bother with those organic cakes or other
concoctions, but I found the plants seem to like fish fertilizer and seaweed
extract.

still have som fish emulsion I bought in the States but I coudl not
find last time I was teher few years ago so probaly I need to orde
trought the net
I feed Neptune's Harvest about once a month. Just watch out for
yellowjackets when you use it outdoors.

hard to find Algae in the fertilizers here

Theo 21-11-2004 04:33 PM

Jim Lewis wrote:

[...]

HI Jim
I see
I have bought 2 poinds of it few years ago
and give a coffee spoon in teh mix and in novembere on the soil
some peopel uso jin liquid 2% with water to give to teh soil to
acidify it and is good for roots too but not with pines ..
Jorge Penalba advice some S sulphur dust on the soil, so I decided to
buy some S sulphur and suddenly checked on my microelements box to see
if there was any

there it is in teh mix ,a high % 15 !!!

now the point is
will once per year do enough ,or is better maybe to give some each
yeach qarter of the year ?
teh box says that the quantity is good ( 2 lbs for a 4 sq ft of soil ..
but does not say once in spring or november or sparingly... say
nothing !

Jim Lewis 22-11-2004 01:15 PM

now the point is
will once per year do enough ,or is better maybe to give some each
yeach qarter of the year ?
teh box says that the quantity is good ( 2 lbs for a 4 sq ft of soil ..
but does not say once in spring or november or sparingly... say
nothing !

I have to repeat, Theo that the instructions on the package
undoubtedly were NOT written to apply to bonsai.

Use that stuff according to directions (a couple of time a year,
probably) on plants in your garden. For bonsai, use a
fertilizer regularly that contains the micronutrients.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Theo 22-11-2004 10:00 PM

Jim Lewis wrote:

now the point is
will once per year do enough ,or is better maybe to give some each
yeach qarter of the year ?
teh box says that the quantity is good ( 2 lbs for a 4 sq ft of soil ..
but does not say once in spring or november or sparingly... say
nothing !

I have to repeat, Theo that the instructions on the package
undoubtedly were NOT written to apply to bonsai.

Use that stuff according to directions (a couple of time a year,
probably) on plants in your garden. For bonsai, use a
fertilizer regularly that contains the micronutrients.

right guess
It says nothing .. but as I always did as you are suggesting and most of
the time the microelements are contained in the organis fertilizer
so will give in spring and late autumn as usaual ..
Thanks Jim

Theo 22-11-2004 10:04 PM

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 21 Nov 2004 at 17:25, Theo wrote:

Why would you give fertilizer at this time of year, except to indoor bonsai?

microelements are NOT fertilizers

Yes they are.

fertilizers are NPK
microelements are F S CU b MB ZN
the amazing thing is that we take the same, and in case of deficency
we get as sick ( our way ) as plants
but we do not get noureshed with oligo elements only nor with vitamins

Jim Lewis 22-11-2004 11:16 PM

On 22 Nov 2004 at 23:04, Theo wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 21 Nov 2004 at 17:25, Theo wrote:

Why would you give fertilizer at this time of year, except to indoor bonsai?

microelements are NOT fertilizers

Yes they are.

fertilizers are NPK
microelements are F S CU b MB ZN
the amazing thing is that we take the same, and in case of deficency
we get as sick ( our way ) as plants
but we do not get noureshed with oligo elements only nor with vitamins

I don't want to beat a dead horse, Theo, but you seem intent of
doing what you want to do anyway, but "fertilizer" is defined
simply as "a substance used to make soil more fertile."
Fertility is: "capable of sustaining abundant plant growth."

To grow, plants need NPK and ALL of the trace elements (and
there are a few more than those you list). Those are found in
good fertilizers. Poor fertilizers only have NPK.

However, define it as you will.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

JRA BONSAI 23-11-2004 01:06 AM

Theo,

The answer is not simple. However... I do not grow tropicals, only temperate
climate hardy plants in zone 6.5 If one uses a soiless mix (e.g. 80% Turface
or similar), Micronutrients are important although more so for some species
than others. Micro nutrients are not essential throughout the year. Bonsai
use different things at different times of their annual cycle. I use a
commercial product called Micromax once per year, in the early spring just as
the buds are opening. 1/2 level teaspoon per gallon of soil in the pot gives
near miraculous results in the color, quality, and substance of leaves on the
bonsai. My observation is taht the trace elements provided are most needed
when the new leaves are forming but are of very limited use after the leaves
have hardened off. At that point regular fertilizers seem to have enough stuff
in them to keep the juices flowing properly. Regular use of micro
nutrientscould actually be toxic to some plants.

Julian Adams
Adams' Bonsai
Lynchburg, VA

Jim Lewis 23-11-2004 02:40 AM

On 23 Nov 2004 it was written:

[...]

Oh my. I must disagree here. I must. With everything except
the first sentence, which is true: The answer is not simple.

The chemical life of plants also is not simple and cannot be
simplified in one or several brief e-mails -- at least not by me
in MY limited understanding.

But plants grow ALL year -- even when we say they're dormant
they grow a little -- somewhere. And as they do, they use the
nutrients they find in the soil to help them grow. Most native
soils are well-enough stocked with macro- and micro-nutrients
that trees and shrubs almost never need fertilizing, despite the
claims of the home-garden-oriented fertilizer manufacturers!

Bonsai soil on the other hand, is deficient in nutrients --
almost sterile in many cases. And bonsai soil drains so quickly
that any chemicals we add are quickly leached away by our
frequent watering. This is why we fertilize at weekly or twice-
weekly intervals -- to replace the nutrients that the soil lacks
and loses.

So bonsai need regular feeding to thrive -- both in macro- and
micronutrients. They need NPK, & S generally to grow roots,
stems and leaves (not necessarily in that order ;-). The
micronutrients (Fe, Mn, Zn, Cu, B, S (tho it usually is
considered a macronutrient), and Mo take care of the minutiae of
plant life. And they do it all year long!

Try withholding iron (Fe, a micronutrient) from a bonsai at
any time of year and you will almost immediately begin seeing
signs of chlorosis (grow azaleas in alkaline conditions, which
prevent uptake of Fe, and see how pale the leaves immediately
become). Ditto Manganese, Mn. Lack of other micronutrients
affects things you don't see as easily, such things as the
thickness of cell walls, the production of enzymes and hormones,
and a host of other vital processes in plants.

But who am I to argue with "the way it's been done." However,
_I_ won't give my plants a jolt of micronutrients once or twice
a year; they get them in small doses every time I feed (or
*almost* every time, I use fish emulsion sometimes and it lacks
many/most? micronutrients) -- which is throughout the year, but
less frequently in winter.

But as they say: Different strokes.

Theo 23-11-2004 05:59 AM

Hi Jim
Jim Lewis wrote:

I don't want to beat a dead horse, Theo, but you seem intent of
doing what you want to do anyway, but "fertilizer" is defined
simply as "a substance used to make soil more fertile."
Fertility is: "capable of sustaining abundant plant growth."

I agree with you seen under this point of view yes are fertilizers

Theo 23-11-2004 06:13 AM

HI Julian

JRA BONSAI wrote:

Theo,

The answer is not simple. However... I do not grow tropicals, only temperate
climate hardy plants in zone 6.5

I am in Zone 7 Geneva Switzerland 5 needle pines azaleas and maples

If one uses a soiless mix (e.g. 80% Turface
or similar),

this is what I am tending to do as well with red lava or 3-4 mm
granite grit
Micronutrients are important although more so for some species
than others. Micro nutrients are not essential throughout the year. Bonsai
use different things at different times of their annual cycle. I use a
commercial product called Micromax once per year,

Exactly the same I have , is traded by Heuer a yellowish powder

in the early spring just as
the buds are opening. 1/2 level teaspoon per gallon of soil in the pot gives
near miraculous results in the color, quality, and substance of leaves on the
bonsai.

this is what I give

My observation is taht the trace elements provided are most needed
when the new leaves are forming but are of very limited use after the leaves
have hardened off. At that point regular fertilizers seem to have enough stuff
in them to keep the juices flowing properly. Regular use of micro
nutrientscould actually be toxic to some plants.

I know ,as for us too many vitamines :-)

I give a little pinch of Micromax in november .. a little less
than a cofee spoon for 2 aq ft pot

But I was wondering if more was needed ....
now you fully answered to my question

You say that it is no use to give it all year round , and is also
logic as during the period of growth and fertilization the
microelements are contained in the fertilizer cakes or fertilizer like
Biogold
Thanks again you ended my quest :-)

Theo 23-11-2004 06:25 AM

HI Jim

you are right but as Julian sais she grows in turface (80%
so if you use a rich soil you need less micronutrients as are
contained therein
if you use poor soil you need more micro and macro elements ,

if you use fertilizers that contains them it is ok no supplement needed

all is relative to your plants ans soils how they are cured
I agree plants are alive all the time even if when are leaves less the
buds get plumpy and roots absorb humidity and also substances but
need less when in dormancy , especially of macroelemnts like NPK
in fact end oct. I give NPK 0-10-10 7 drops per gallon just twice
every 20 days for roots and buds to come and a little pinch of
microelemnts since 24 years ..
I was just wondering if more was needed
and the answer in no

Craig Cowing 23-11-2004 11:53 AM

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip

But plants grow ALL year -- even when we say they're dormant
they grow a little -- somewhere.

snip

But as they say: Different strokes.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Jim:
Tell me how to fertilize trees that are under 6" of leaf mulch, a foot of snow, and
the soil is frozen solid? ;0}

Mine aren't there yet but they will be soon enough!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Nina Shishkoff 23-11-2004 04:05 PM

I don't know why we are discussing this; what Jim said is completely
accurate. Bonsai represent a special way of raising plants without
natural soil. In such a situation, micronutrients are necessary all
year long because the trees have no way to get them unless they are
added exogenously. Since bonsai soils don't store much nutrient, the
fertilizer needs to be added all the time.

NPK fertilizers are meant to add the top 3 limiting nutrients to soils
that otherwise DO NOT LACK for fertility. I always use a full
fertilizer complement with my bonsai because I keep them in turface,
bark and grani-grit, a mixture that lacks micronutrients.

Nina, who is putting her trees in winter storage, except that crummy
abutilon and her pathetic collection of indoor bonsai.

Jim Lewis 23-11-2004 10:39 PM

On 23 Nov 2004 at 8:05, Nina Shishkoff wrote:

I don't know why we are discussing this; what Jim said is completely
accurate.

Wow! It had to happen sometime! ;-)

But I know why . . . It's 'cause we're basically "garden
people."

Garden people have never ever been able to pass up the "majic"
elixir of the day, week, month, year, or millennium. If it
promises pumpkins you can make a coach and four out of they'll
buy two batches!

And then, of course, they have to pass this "secret" on to their
neighbors. That's how Superthrive (among others) stays in
business.

So many products are sold to home gardeners under totally false
premises (if not pretenses) that there oughta be a law.

Buyer beware!

Anil Kaushik 24-11-2004 05:10 PM

Nina

I have not been able to understand why you people do not add natural soil to
the Bonsai compost! I don't think it can really create problems when coarse
ingredients like turface, grit and bark are there in the mix. Soil provides
the basic nutrition to the plants and in fact all flora grow in soil. Or is
there some other reason for using the soiless compost? In India we use
coarse sand/grit, fertile soil and coarse manure in equal parts and all the
plants grow well. Yes we do provide the three meals i.e. breakfast, lunch
and dinner. I add organic fertilizer *Sterameal* which is a mixture of
bonemeal, hornmeal, hoofmeal, bloodmeal and some more organic ingredients;
three times a year, once in spring second time in mid summer and then in
autumn. Being a slow release fertilizer, it dissolves slowly providing macro
as well as micro elements.

Please answer the first sentence.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

****

****

Nina Shishkoff 24-11-2004 05:49 PM

Anil said:
I have not been able to understand why you people do not add natural

soil to the Bonsai compost!

There are 3 reasons for this:

1) Bonsai need well-drained conditions above almost everything else,
and the kind of non-soil mix we use gives very good drainage. There
is almost no way to add soil to a gravel-based potting medium without
clogging the air pores.

2) Most of our information on container-growth of plants comes from
the nursery industry, and in the US essentially no one uses soil in
their container mixes. I just did a survey of what the major
Rhododendron growers in the US use for their potting mix, and they all
use nonsoil mixes (and their mixes are essentially the same except for
the source of bark, which varies regionally). Since full-spectrum
fertilizers are readily available, there is no need for a soil
component in commercial nurseries.

3) Nonsoil mixes start out with few pathogens, and with a few
precautions, can stay disease-free. Mixes that use soil have to be
sterilized, and autoclaving soil changes its properties.

A few years ago I was involved in a survey of the Pythium flora in
greenhouses in the East coast (Pythium is the organism that causes
"damping off" and many root rots) and the results of our survey were
startlingly different from the results of scientists doing this sort
of work 40 years ago. The reason appears to be that most greenhouses
now use soilless mix and don't start their plants from seed as much,
preferring to buy flats from wholesalers. So the species of Pythium
in greenhouses today aren't coming in on soil; they're coming in on
the plants.

Nina, who uses no soil in her plant experiments, either.

Theo 24-11-2004 06:07 PM

I guess the climate is different as well the species of trees you grow
and their growing season , most probaly is all year round, or more
than in cold climates like Ny or north europe

Craig Cowing 24-11-2004 06:36 PM

Anil Kaushik wrote:

Nina

I have not been able to understand why you people do not add natural soil to
the Bonsai compost! I don't think it can really create problems when coarse
ingredients like turface, grit and bark are there in the mix.

snip

Please answer the first sentence.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Anil:
With the encouragement of my wife, the queen of compost, Anita Hawkins, this year I
started adding compost to my soil as part of the organic component. I have found
that *sifted* compost (note the emphasis) is not dense, but is actually very fluffy
and water still drains well from it. It is certainly not the largest part of my
soil, generally no more than about a third, but I had pretty good results this
year. The more coarse part of my soil is composted bark, turface, and gravel. I
am not as strict in measuring it as some are.

I have not had any problems with root rot, etc. that could happen if I weren't
careful. This provides, I feel, the natural organic elements that the tree is
going to look for in nature.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Theo 24-11-2004 07:47 PM

HI Craig
I agree with your wife
I started making compost home made
the very best is made with oak leaves or Chestnut leaves this year I
had a huge mushroom and few small ones that come out of it
the compost is very soft and as you do I will use wuth crushed red
lava or granite 3 to 5 mm
1/3 of composta and the rest garnite or lava
I already stared with some and roots are very nice and the soil
dires accordning as you wish if you dd some bark of sequoia
I have few sequoias in my park and 2 has been cut and the bark is
available first I sterilize it in steam with microwawes and than I cut
it in small dices , according teh mix I do can take 1 week to dry

Jim Lewis 24-11-2004 08:09 PM

On 24 Nov 2004 at 19:12, Theo wrote:

But this is a sort of (with)out-of-soil-growing !

Oh, phoo! You've heard of "safe sex?" We're practicing "Safe
Bonsai growing."

When you add dirt you cannot avoid adding pathogens (unless, of
course, you sterilize the dirt, and I know you don't) and, like
casual sexual partners and STD, while chances are fairly good
that the pathogen you add will NOT hurt your tree, there is the
chance that it will.

As for compost, GOOD compost is self-sterilized. It gets HOT in
a good, well-turned compost pile. Still, compost is pretty fine-
grained soil and since it is the product of decay so by
definition if it has decay bacteria included in it, your compost
will only get finer as time goes on. That clogs up your soil.

It is often forgotten, but roots need more than water and
nutrients. They need air. Clogged soil interferes with the
provision of air to the roots.

Over time, the pine bark we use decomposes bit and actually
becomes a kind of soil in our pot. About then, though, we
repot.

Marty Haber 24-11-2004 09:00 PM

Thanks for the thumbnail on soil. One subject that needs some thought is
the bark content in one's mix.
For years I've been debunking the use of decomposed bark in bonsai soil.
Some time ago, Brent Walston came up with his statement that fresh bark is
far better. Since I am of the same opinion, I'd like to add my 2c.
The size of the bark pieces is much more important than the stage of decay.
I use Cedarcide (reg. TM)
which comes in various sizes down to 1/4". It can be used right out of the
package without sifting, and has its own natural anti-insect protection. It
is not decomposed at all, and has never caused any leaching problems for me.
It does start to rot after 2 years, but will carry over for 3 in a pinch ...
and I guess we all repot by then, anyway.
P.S. I have no financial interest in Cedarcide.

Theo 24-11-2004 10:46 PM

Jim Lewis wrote:

Oh, phoo! You've heard of "safe sex?" We're practicing "Safe
Bonsai growing."

danger and to know haw to play the right rules is a part of the game
too safe .. is like eat syntehtic meat instead of a T bone steak IMHO !

When you add dirt you cannot avoid adding pathogens (unless, of
course, you sterilize the dirt, and I know you don't) and, like
casual sexual partners and STD, while chances are fairly good
that the pathogen you add will NOT hurt your tree, there is the
chance that it will.

trees always lived in nature and patogenes made them stronger ( the
one that survived at least ) and a lot survived and made a strong breed

As for compost, GOOD compost is self-sterilized. It gets HOT in
a good, well-turned compost pile. Still, compost is pretty fine-
grained soil and since it is the product of decay so by
definition if it has decay bacteria included in it, your compost
will only get finer as time goes on. That clogs up your soil.

yes but generally it takes two years to make a good compost
I use it after this time when I need repotting

It is often forgotten, but roots need more than water and
nutrients. They need air. Clogged soil interferes with the
provision of air to the roots.

yes of course
but in real nature you have grit and soil and trees live in the
one tehy are fitted to live in .. a seed in a wrong soil wither and die
some prefer in calcar some acidic some live in clay or silica
others in swamp
of course we have , due to the reduced space of a pot to create the
ideal place for roots to develope but if we only use non-soil and
fertilizers we do a sort of syntetic environment

similar to hydroculture but instead of water we use a moist solid
medium the non -soil!

it is not a normal environment , and beside that patogenes are
carried by wind insects animal dejections and whatever unless you
grow your bonsais under a glass bell cut form whatever contact with
the external world

but this is almost possible now or in labs, but not during the
centuries before ,and Bonsai art survived patogenes and all different
soils and mix

Over time, the pine bark we use decomposes bit and actually
becomes a kind of soil in our pot. About then, though, we
repot.

exactly
and air does not circulate as well as in the beginning of repotting ..

in this way we could grow bonsai in chopped glass grit
and add macro and micro elements when needed

but would it be to make Bonsai ? :-)
a doctor told me lately
we are not healty in the meaniong of viruses or desease -free
we are filled up with viruses and microbs that cannot develope and
kill us as we have immuno defenses but to have tehm we must be in
contanct with viruses or micronbs to develope them

Alan Walker 25-11-2004 01:26 AM

Theo: A big difference is that I don't care much if a tree in the
forest dies of natural causes, but I care a whole lot if any of
my bonsai die for any reason. I want much better survival rates
than nature, so for me the nature comparison is moot. I'll
continue to practice risk management for bonsai.

Alan Walker

From: Theo
[...]

Just for today... don't worry .....be happy

Theo 25-11-2004 08:13 AM

Hi Alan

Alan Walker wrote:

Theo: A big difference is that I don't care much if a tree in the
forest dies of natural causes, but I care a whole lot if any of
my bonsai die for any reason. I want much better survival rates
than nature, so for me the nature comparison is moot. I'll
continue to practice risk management for bonsai.

Alan Walker

the only problems I had were in the evry beginning when I treated
bonsais like babies .. and with difficult species like Japanese holly
or apples were kept inside home in winther and one serissa ..
but the pentaphilla and deshojo palmatum I had and I was really
frightened to care them as too important for a beginner
survived during 25 years until today
the only time I had a problem 4 and 2 years ago was because of a bad
making of a pot
in fact two pentaphilla pines went twice in there both developed
roots decay.. the second has been saved .. and the pot discarded

Anil Kaushik 25-11-2004 01:00 PM

Theo

Excellent! You and I are on the same wavelength! I think SYENTHIC cultural
practices in US is the result of too much hype created for the readymade
(lazy-man's) products by the manufacturers and their agents probably with
the motive of making profits. As the mother feed is the best for a baby,
likewise mother earth (natural soil) is the best food source for a plant.
Highly infected, infested and polluted soil will not support plant life.
But where is the need to get such stuff then sterilize or autoclave it! I
take good fertilesoil, dry it in the Sun and then sift it through a sieve
that has 40 x 40 meshes per sq.inch, to remove the fine dust. Similarly we
use well rotted leaf or dung compost after sifting it through 20 x 20 mesh.
And adding coarse sharp sand or inert grit to it, the mixture becomes quite
porous and easily last one year without clogging. In the next repotting, we
recycle the old mixture by sifting it again (to remove the broken fine
particles) and mixing it with the fresh mixture in 50-50ratio, adding some
broad spectrum organic fertilizer. All plants grow very well in this
medium.

As for the micro-elements are concerned, these are sufficient in organic
fertlisers and soil.

Theo 25-11-2004 02:47 PM

Hello Anil
Anil Kaushik wrote:

Theo

Excellent! You and I are on the same wavelength!

;-)
I think SYENTHIC cultural
practices in US is the result of too much hype created for the readymade
(lazy-man's) products by the manufacturers and their agents probably with
the motive of making profits.

probably due to production and to avoid patopgenous that can destroy
young breed
I read of a Japanese master that when buys some plants in nurseries he
knows that are hevily under chemicals to keep them fine so during one
year he leaves the new bought plant grow and to get free fo chemical to
rebuilt his own defenses
I think he is right

[...]

yeah
I normally steam-sterilize the lava or gravel I use as it comes from
soils and places I do not know so I wash and than put in a plastic bag
with some water in microwave
so I can recicle it over and over again and adding a little old
soil plus new home made compost it helps to colonize with *home* bacteria
Akadama is getting not only expensive but also degradates quite quickly
so I use just a third with lava and the compost
for needles I use less compost with maples 30% is ok
my coarse lava or gravel is about 4-5 mm and porous so helps in air
circulation
aftere ripotting the old soil aka + gravel or lava + old compost is
sifted the dust is thrown in nature or in my geraniums pots and the
solid gravel is washed sterilized and stored for others plants whene
needed in months to come

As for the micro-elements are concerned, these are sufficient in organic
fertlisers and soil.

guess so , and anyway there are also in biogold fish emulsion and so on
Regards