Old 13-12-2004, 03:28 PM
N. McGuiness

Default air-layering citrus tree for potential future bonsai (question)

I have a 4-5 metre tall mandarin tree (unsure of exact details) in
ground that I would like to clone. The intention is it will
be for a future bonsai.

After reading many websites the only specific issue that
remains (with regard to this tree) is where to start the
layering. I was thinking/hoping to work on an upward facing
branch where the leaves receive direct sunlight but the site
would be sheltered from the direct sun by the top of the tree.
The actual branch is about 1 inch in diameter at the site of
the potential layering. Is this a reasonable spot or will/should
I work on a newer branch that is not as wide (eg. pencil thick/1cm)?
Can I work on a wider branch, say 2 inch diameter?
Old 13-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Jim Lewis

I have a 4-5 metre tall mandarin tree (unsure of exact details)
in
ground that I would like to clone. The intention is it will
be for a future bonsai.

After reading many websites the only specific issue that
remains (with regard to this tree) is where to start the
layering. I was thinking/hoping to work on an upward facing
branch where the leaves receive direct sunlight but the site
would be sheltered from the direct sun by the top of the tree.
The actual branch is about 1 inch in diameter at the site of
the potential layering. Is this a reasonable spot or

will/should
I work on a newer branch that is not as wide (eg. pencil

thick/1cm)?
Can I work on a wider branch, say 2 inch diameter?

I have no idea how easily an orange will air layer. My guess is
that it may be difficult.

You can air layer a tree in several locations at once, so I'd
suggest that you try the one-inch branch as well as the 2 inch
branch -- so long as one isn't higher up the SAME branch as the
other.

However, if you live in the northern hemisphere, this isn't the
ideal time to start an air layer.

Spring or early summer is recommended.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: