Old 22-12-2004, 04:21 AM
Andrew G

Default Casurina raft style

Hi everyone,
A few months back I collected quite a few casurina glaucas from a paddock,
where slashing and cows had done an excellent job in starting them as
bonsai.
Out of all the collecting, I had only lost one which was due to a badly
misplaced "shot" when using a spade to cut some of the rootball away,
hitting the bottom part of the trunk just under the soil level.
Anyway I managed to start shaping them all just after getting them, however
one which trunk grew along the soil surface, then curved up, I just couldn't
figure what to do with.
I decided to devote this one to a test subject, cutting the trunk off where
it starts to curve up to see if they shoot from bare wood (which they do).
I was left with a trunk laying on the ground, with roots coming out of it.
Since then it has new shoots growing quite rapidly, some which have become
branches growing vertically.
Is it possible to turn this into raft stlye?
Currently I have let it grow, and added a little more soil so the trunk is
just about covered with soil. The 7 branches popping up are growing strong,
and about 30cm (12inches) tall.
Anything else I should do? Will the trunk, ie raft base, thicken with age
and grow with the branches, or will the branches outgrow the base and take
off themselves?
Thanks for any help
Andrew
Mid North Coast
NSW Australia

a raft of veg questions... brian mitchell United Kingdom 2 29-08-2007 09:11 AM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Raft Question Pauline Muth Bonsai 4 16-05-2005 02:01 PM
Raft Question AGrid Bonsai 1 15-05-2005 01:36 PM
how to make a turtle island/raft?? XedOut Ponds 1 05-02-2005 08:06 PM
[IBC] bunjin style Brian Berggoetz Bonsai 3 17-02-2003 03:15 PM