Old 22-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Book - for Floridians

For Floridians, old, new, and wannabe, on the list I can
recommend a brand new book on Florida's environment:

Priceless Florida: Natural Ecosystems and Native Species, By
Dr.s Ellie Whitney, Bruce Means, and Ann Rudloe. Pineapple
Press, 2004. 430-some pages. Hardback ($39ish) and paperback
($21.95 and at that a steal with the hundreds of National
Geographic-quality color photos throughout).

A confession: I had a bit to do with the publication of this
book and the content of the first couple of chapters (enough to
get a mention on the Acknowledgements page and a nice letter
from Ellie announcing its publication. I _bought_ my copy
yesterday.) :-) This was back when I was working as Director
of Environmental Education for Florida's environmental agency.

Anyway, for anyone who wants a _thorough_ and extraordinarily
readable exposition on Florida's natural systems and the trees,
other plants, and animals who live in each of them, along with
the geology that supports them, this will be the one to read for
the forseeable future.

To make this vaguely on topic, we Florida bonsaiests use many of
these trees as bonsai and this book could help you better
understand how those trees grow -- even in small pots.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++