Old 06-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] One Last Time--Sealants

In a message dated 3/5/2005 7:06:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
As mentioned in replies to your original message. Very few tree surgeons are
now using sealants and pastes due to fear of encouraging disease.
I personally do not use anything, and have never had a problem. Be sure to
make any cuts not hold water from rain, dew, your cutting tool whatever it
may be is clean and sharp and my guess is you will never have a problem.

Group:

Our bonsai friend from down under has provided sound advise about dealing
with wounds. Major wounds resulting from trunk chops can hold water and promote
decay if they have not been cut at the proper angle. As for the aesthetic
manipulation of the wound site, carving can become part of the solution.

There are many schools of thought surrounding the application of sealants. I
have never seen any of my trees incur a fungus because a cut paste or putty
was applied. I have seen the positive effects ranging from stopping the
undesirable flow of sap in Maples and Pines with a cut paste to the accelerated the
healing of wounds on Elms, Boxwoods, Hornbeams, and Pines with cut putty.

The aesthetics of bonsai should also enter into consideration when applying
sealants. For this reason, I often rebark the site where the sealant has been
applied. This is accomplished by shaving bark from the pruned branch and
pressing it onto the sealant.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Marty Haber

Nice idea, but it won't work. Human skin ( actually sub-derma) is live,
while tree bark isn't. Actually the only "live" material in a tree is a
layer only one cell wide which lies between the bark and the underlying
wood. In order to make a graft, you would have to cut piece deep enough to
include that live layer and then match it up with the existing layer on the
cut branch. Big job with small gain.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Mathias Uely

Hello

Marty Haber wrote:

Nice idea, but it won't work. Human skin ( actually sub-derma) is live,
while tree bark isn't. Actually the only "live" material in a tree is a
layer only one cell wide which lies between the bark and the underlying
wood. In order to make a graft, you would have to cut piece deep enough
to include that live layer and then match it up with the existing layer
on the cut branch. Big job with small gain.

I always use sealants , are excellent to avoid cambium decay ,
bark grafting as skin transplantation in humans, does not work or
can be done only if cells match perfectly as for grafting and a part
of them is still connected to the main trunk to be nourished and kept
alive... like in thread grafting
Mathias

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Hill"