Old 01-03-2005, 03:11 PM
figaro

Default [IBC] Admin - R.A.B. - Long

I am not a list member and only occasionally frequent the newsgroup. I have
posted a couple of times. I have always been confused that an unmoderated,
public newsgroup has moderators. I didn't really understand that there was
a list group attached to the newsgroup. I found it very offensive to read
people trying to administer this public newsgroup.

I believe in the American ideal of free speech. Many here appear to want a
country club approach to information exchange, only allowing passive,
teacher oriented types to post only informational topics that don't offend
anyone. If you have this mentality then please do sever ties with the
newsgroup and others like me will find our information elsewhere.

This is censorship no different than any other censorship. If you don't
like the violence on television, then turn the station or turn off the
television. I don't see why so many people have trouble with this concept.
Individuals can prevent agressive posters from appearing on their computer
and never need to see their post. We all have control over what we read and
watch and listen to. I don't need some third party to decide what I can and
cannot read. I am very disappointed with this discussion and I hope you all
come to your senses.

From: (Shelly Hurd)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.bonsai
Date: 25 Feb 2005 08:18:24 -0800
Subject: [IBC] Admin - R.A.B. - Long

List Members,

In the past two weeks we have seen an increasing number of argumentative / off
topic posts / and increasing numbers of spam posts all received through
rec.arts.bonsai. These posts not only waste my time, they waste yours, and
fill our archives with what can only be politely described as garbage.

We/I have three alternatives: (and others have already said I should not open
this up for discussion). So for 24 hours or so let's discuss. I strongly urge
any and all lurkers out there to join in this discussion. After that I will
close discussion and do what I feel needs to be done.

snip