Old 07-04-2005, 02:31 PM

Default [IBC] Edible Fig as Bonsai

The edible fig, Ficus carica, can be grown as bonsai. I've done it, and I've
seen others. A Google search on Ficus carica bonsai will find you some
information and images. However, it is not a very good bonsai subject. The leaves are
very large and hard to reduce, so you need to work it as a large bonsai,
about 2 feet tall. It does not develop the twigging & ramification that are the
hallmarks of desirable bonsai. However, it is easy & fun, & you may get a few
figs off it. In Louisiana, it can probably stay outdoors all year round even as
a bonsai, with a little protection in midwinter.
One little warning. Many mature fig trees develop a symbiosis with a nitrogen
fixing micro-organism that lives inside the leaves. When you bring the tree
indoors for display, if the sun is shining on it, visitors will look at you
askance because it will smell exactly as though you forgot to clean the cat's
litter pan, or a tomcat sprayed on it.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-04-2005, 02:23 AM
mrnuts

Thanks for the info Iris. My wife wanted to throw it away, so even if
it fails... at least I tried! I'll look into info on the Ficus carica
for some guidance.

Thanks,
Bill

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++