Old 23-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Kees

Default Wiring larch

I have read contradictory advice on when to wire larch. One book I
have suggests to wire a few weeks after they have leafed out because
the bark is extremely sensitive and it might damage.

A couple of bonsai websites suggest wiring BEFORE the needles are out
because they are easier to wire at that time.

What is the general consensus here? My larch are just breaking bud.
Wire now or wait a few weeks?
Old 23-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Wire before it leafes out it is much easier. If the buds are about to
pop, of course you have to be careful not to damage them. I have not
found the bark to be "extremely sensetive" with my little experience of
larch (Larix decidua, European larch).

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Kees wrote:

I have read contradictory advice on when to wire larch. One book I
have suggests to wire a few weeks after they have leafed out because
the bark is extremely sensitive and it might damage.

A couple of bonsai websites suggest wiring BEFORE the needles are out
because they are easier to wire at that time.

What is the general consensus here? My larch are just breaking bud.
Wire now or wait a few weeks?

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2005, 10:11 PM
John Biel

I agree with Henrik. Your larches are ready to be wired. As with all wired trees,
one has to be careful not to skin the bark or break branches when placing them. I
just finished wiring my larches (L. laricina) and they are, or were, in the stage you
describe.

John Biel
Toronto, ON Canada

Old 27-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Scooter the Mighty

Kees wrote:
I have read contradictory advice on when to wire larch. One book I
have suggests to wire a few weeks after they have leafed out because
the bark is extremely sensitive and it might damage.

A couple of bonsai websites suggest wiring BEFORE the needles are out
because they are easier to wire at that time.

What is the general consensus here? My larch are just breaking bud.
Wire now or wait a few weeks?

I wired my larch before it budded, and then read that doing so could
damage the cambium and kill it. D'oh! But I put some pretty hefty
bends in mine and it's doing just fine.

[IBC] Larch cuttings Håkan Bengtsson Bonsai 2 01-07-2003 09:14 PM
Formal larch John Kingscott Bonsai 0 28-04-2003 08:44 AM
Dunkeld Larch Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 01-04-2003 04:20 PM
[IBC] Couple of Larch Questions DouglasTaylor Bonsai 2 26-03-2003 11:44 PM
[IBC] golden larch Colin Horn Bonsai 0 26-03-2003 06:44 AM