Old 23-05-2005, 02:00 AM
AGrid

Default Australian Bonsai

Hi fellow Bonsai benders...
Thanks for the subscription to you
club,great to read about other trees, peoples ideas, problems and how you
professionals help fix the problems.
A couple of question that I hope someone can answer:
I read that some people put there zone area they live in.Does anyone know
what zone area South Australia is?
and has anyone tried bonsaing camellias.I have just brought 2 and potted
them in bonsai pots .I'm hoping they do well here in oz.
Also is there any other south oz people in this club,I see most others are
from usa and other countries but have not seen any posts from oz?
Thanks in advance
Grid.

Old 23-05-2005, 03:08 AM
Jim Lewis

AGrid wrote:
Hi fellow Bonsai benders...
Thanks for the subscription to you
club,great to read about other trees, peoples ideas, problems and how you
professionals help fix the problems.
A couple of question that I hope someone can answer:
I read that some people put there zone area they live in.Does anyone know
what zone area South Australia is?
and has anyone tried bonsaing camellias.I have just brought 2 and potted
them in bonsai pots .I'm hoping they do well here in oz.
Also is there any other south oz people in this club,I see most others are
from usa and other countries but have not seen any posts from oz?
Thanks in advance
Grid.

Welcome to the IBC.

There are 7 obvious Australians subscribed to the list (and
I think several more whose ISPs don't have the telltale "au"
ending to their address also belong; dunno whether they're
from the chilly south, though).

One of the seven, Steve Reeve, who subscribed in March, may
be a neighbor of yours, since he uses the "bigpond" ISP also.

Camellias are fairly common as bonsai. A Google on
"camellia bonsai" should get you some info. I think there
_is_ a zone map for Australia, but I don't know where you
might find it. Ask at a local nursery.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Reeve Family

Dear AGRID,
I have been trying to get a message to you but cant direct to your bigpond
account for some reason.......

The IBC webpage contains some interesting information - albeit bent towards
the northern hemisphere.

Whilst I don't know what equivalent "zone" either Sydney or Adelaide is in -
I think I have some information on it somewhere. If it is of interest to you
I will dig it out.

In all honesty, I think Australian temperature extremes etc don't fit nicely
into the American "zones" so you may be better off reading some of the great
Australian Bonsai literature. Koreshoff's book is like a bible and many of
the local bonsai clubs pick up on it. Either way you will be able to get
some great information on a month by month seasonal workload.

As far as Camellias are concerned - they make FANTASTIC bonsai subjects. I
have a couple of them and would be happy to answer any of your queries (to
the best of my knowledge) or send you a photo of my pride and joy.

They are one of my favourite bonsai subjects (as you might be able to tell)

Anyway if I can help in any way - let me know

Regards
Steve