Old 31-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Crushed Lava

There is a product called "Drystall" that is used to
keep horse stalls dry. It needs a lot of sifting, but
is usually available in feed stores.

Kits

--- Blake Wilkins wrote:
Could anyone (particularly those in the Hosuton, TX
area) have any ideas
where to find crushed lava for use in potting mixes.
I've checked most of
the horticultural and stone/gravel/sand supply
places around town and no one
has any idea. I can find large decorative chunks -
do I just have to crush
it myself? YIKES!

Thanks!
Blake in Houston

++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin
Bailey++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 01-06-2005, 12:37 AM
Don Walker

Blake,

I got some from a place called RedDome. They have a website at
www.reddome.com and they sell crushed lava for bonsai on Ebay -
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZreddomelava Or email Lee Miller
directly, he'll bend over backwards to get you
what you want.

-Don
Just north of Austin

Old 01-06-2005, 06:26 AM
Alan Walker

Blake: Not Houston, but in Austin, Terry Ward of Persimmon Hill Bonsai Nursery has lava for bonsai soil. I've also ordered from Monastary Bonsai in GA, but shipping will cost half again what the product does.
Alan Walker
Lake Charles, LA, USA

Old 01-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Joe Kuhn

Hi,

I use crushed lava here in Mobile, Al. The key to it being used successfully is to rinse it with fresh water. This gets rid of the dust. I put regular window screening in a plastic milk crate and run water over it till it runs clear. I turn the stone over by hand while doing this also. If you don't get rid of the dust it will settle in the bottom of your pot and harden, blocking drainage. Good luck.

Joe

From: Blake Wilkins
Could anyone (particularly those in the Hosuton, TX area) have any ideas
where to find crushed lava for use in potting mixes. I've checked most of
the horticultural and stone/gravel/sand supply places around town and no one
has any idea. I can find large decorative chunks - do I just have to crush
it myself? YIKES!
Thanks!
Blake in Houston

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Tiziano

Joe Kuhn wrote:

Hi,

I use crushed lava here in Mobile, Al. The key to it being used successfully is to rinse it with fresh water. This gets rid of the dust. I put regular window screening in a plastic milk crate and run water over it till it runs clear. I turn the stone over by hand while doing this also. If you don't get rid of the dust it will settle in the bottom of your pot and harden, blocking drainage. Good luck.

Joe

even Akadama has to be sifted and free form "dusts" and
particles of 1-2 mm i

Crushed Lava Blake Wilkins Bonsai 0 31-05-2005 10:57 PM
[IBC] Crushed Granite [email protected] Bonsai 1 30-03-2005 03:48 PM
Onyx Gravel, Flourite, & Crushed Lava Rock? Dances With Ferrets Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 25-05-2004 12:11 PM
Crushed Coral to raise KH Growly Dog Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:08 AM
decomposed vs crushed granite Tom Jones Texas 1 21-02-2003 07:58 PM