Old 01-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Jim

Default Ficus + greenhouse = brown leaves

We have a ficus of a small leaf variety. It was doing very well
indoors with tremendous growth. We moved it outside in a portable
greenhouse. After two days there the part that was facing the sun is
filled with brown leaves. The part that was away from the sun is
fine. We put two sponges soaked in water and had the greenhouse
closed. What caused the leaves to turn brown and what should I do
now? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Steve wachs

The same thing happened when put my ficus outside. I tink it's either the sun. or just the change from indoors to outdoors. Y am already getting new leaves, so it is not premanently damaged

SteveW
Long Island NY

We have a ficus of a small leaf variety. It was doing very well
indoors with tremendous growth. We moved it outside in a portable
greenhouse. After two days there the part that was facing the sun is
filled with brown leaves. The part that was away from the sun is
fine. We put two sponges soaked in water and had the greenhouse
closed. What caused the leaves to turn brown and what should I do
now? Thanks.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-06-2005, 01:43 AM
Nina

Normally, that's what I do to my figs every year: move them into full
sun too quickly and scorch them. Not this year, though. This year I
got a late frost and froze all the leaves off.

Nina. Don't worry- they're fine now.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Jim

At 12:12 PM 6/1/2005, Jim wrote:
We have a ficus of a small leaf variety. It was doing very well
indoors with tremendous growth. We moved it outside in a portable
greenhouse. After two days there the part that was facing the sun is
filled with brown leaves. The part that was away from the sun is
fine. We put two sponges soaked in water and had the greenhouse
closed. What caused the leaves to turn brown and what should I do
now? Thanks.

It is called sunburn and tropicals have very thin skin and need the
gradual transition to full sun in the same manner as the palid skin of us
humans after being in forced enclusure from our winter environs.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++