Old 03-06-2005, 01:59 AM
AGrid

Default Slate slab

Hi all .
I have just brought a big 1 inch thick slab of slate and want to make a
slate slab for my 7 maple trees as a forest/group.
The base is very flat and has not got much character or shape as yet.I'm
thinking about a shape like a figure 8 but not so defined in the middle .I
know it will need some work but I have plenty of time to do it,and it only
cost me $2.00 from my local nursery....lol .
Has anyone got any web site that shows some pictures of slate slabs as a
bonsai base ,I have looked in lots of books and seen a few pictures but not
any that give me a complete look at the slabs shape .

Grid.

Bonsai trees are like potato chips -
no one can have just one!

Old 03-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Jim Lewis

AGrid wrote:
Hi all .
I have just brought a big 1 inch thick slab of slate and want to make a
slate slab for my 7 maple trees as a forest/group.
The base is very flat and has not got much character or shape as yet.I'm
thinking about a shape like a figure 8 but not so defined in the middle .I
know it will need some work but I have plenty of time to do it,and it only
cost me $2.00 from my local nursery....lol .
Has anyone got any web site that shows some pictures of slate slabs as a
bonsai base ,I have looked in lots of books and seen a few pictures but not
any that give me a complete look at the slabs shape .

It would seem to me that the slab you have would suggest the
appopriate shape. In MY experience, the more diddling you
do with a natural shape the more artificial it ends up looking.

Use one of those nippers flooring people use for shaping
floor tile and round off sharp jutting points and corners
and see what you have. Anything but round ought to be
satisfactory for a small group like you plan.

Inch thick? I bet it's heavy!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Slate Slab [email protected] Bonsai 1 04-06-2005 02:25 PM
Concrete slab dip Dave Lawns 4 25-07-2004 11:02 AM
lifting paving slab hillier United Kingdom 4 13-02-2004 09:40 PM
Plants growing through the floor slab Louise United Kingdom 3 09-08-2003 03:13 PM
Need help with slab for my return to pond John Hines Ponds 0 21-05-2003 06:20 PM