Old 15-06-2005, 05:57 AM
April Ann

Default Growing branches

Is there a way to grow a branch where you need one?

Old 15-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Kitsune Miko

--- April Ann wrote:

Is there a way to grow a branch where you need one?

Sometimes.

It depends on the type of plant and positioning
desired. Many decidious trees will sprout new
branches from internodes on the trunk. Some will do
it whether you want them or not, like the smaller
leafed elms.

The other way is to graft a branch where you want it.
There are several ways to do this. Practice is
necessary to be good enough in technique to make it
happen.

So tell us about the tree you have in mind and where
you live and we can give you more specific advice.

Kits

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-06-2005, 09:16 AM
April Ann

Thanks for your offer of help. I have a thirteen year old star
magnolia. I'm in the Seattle area.

The tree grows branches freely. I spend the sumer pinching them off.
The branches, however, do not grow in the harder wood areas, which is
unfortunately where I want a couple to be.

Group: rec.arts.bonsai Date: Wed, Jun 15, 2005, 7:58am From:
(Kitsune=A0Miko)