Old 17-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Itoigawa juniper

Dave Ward wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for a care sheet for a Itoigawa juniper. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

And the Latin name is?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 7/17/2005 6:00:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I am looking for a care sheet for an Itoigawa juniper.

From the catalog at
www.evergreengardenworks.com

Juniperus chinensis 'Itoigawa Shimpaku' This Shimpaku is quite different from
the above. It is a bright green color and the foliage is smaller, stiffer and
more open when left unpruned. Pinched regularly it will be similar in
appearance to Shimpaku except for its bright green color. It develops a trunk
slightly faster than 'Shimpaku'. Rare.

Like all Junipers you need to get the plant outdoors in full light. It
needs to be well watered when it dries out but not kept soggy.
I have one that I am growing in a 10 inch bulb pan. The media is 50/50
(or so) Turface and cypress mulch. I water daily here on the Space Coast.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Michael Persiano

Dave:

I will soon be publishing an article on Itoigawa Junipers in Bonsai Today, and I hope that you and others will find this of use.

Juniperus chinensis 'sargentii' is named after C.S. Sargent who identified it on Hokkaido in 1892. When we speak of Shimpaku quality we are inevitably looking at the specimen's scale-like foliage (color and density) and trunk (size and movement).

Most of the "collected" Shimpaku imported into the US originated in Shikoku or near the Itoigawa River. Having worked extensively on both Shikoku and Itoigawa Shimpaku, I can tell you that the Itoigawa have greater natural movement and often contain a Shari, while the Shikoku present a calmer trunk movement. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule.

With that said, the foliage on Shimpaku is pinched back to maintain its shape. If pinched too hard, you will stimulate juvenile spike-like growth, which will in time return to its mature, scale-like form.

Shimpaku present their unique beauty when a shari has been carved into the trunk; however, I would not recommend attempting this task until you have received guidance from an experienced practitioner.

I hope that this helps and holds you until the article on a wonderful little Itoigawa appears in Bonsai Today.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

I am looking for a care sheet for a Itoigawa juniper. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++