Old 01-08-2005, 11:52 PM

Default working with hot peppers

Does anyone know how to reduce the burn when working with hot peppers?
besides wearing gloves.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:05 AM
GA Pinhead

Rick:

I don't use gloves but I do wash with lots of soap several times. Those
habs can be um painful. It is an oil so maybe vinegar???

Picking them is usually my downfall. Something likes to chew one small
whole in them. They get some rain water in them. I pick them and of
course the water gets on my hands. Amazing how they can hurt.

John!

Old 02-08-2005, 12:21 AM

I tried vinegar. It does not work.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:33 AM
GA Pinhead

Surgical gloves then?

John!

Old 02-08-2005, 12:57 AM

Just be careful, hot peppers on your hands and sex can be dangerous!

Old 02-08-2005, 01:09 AM
The Cook

" wrote:

Does anyone know how to reduce the burn when working with hot peppers?
besides wearing gloves.

Clorox water.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 02-08-2005, 03:06 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 1 Aug 2005 15:52:42 -0700, "
wrote:

Does anyone know how to reduce the burn when working with hot peppers?
besides wearing gloves.

Get some sturdy hemostats or fine pliers to hold the pepper, use
a longish knife to cut. Watch out for juice running down the
blade.

If you get it on your hands, try a degreaser like Grease Relief,
409; that kind of thing. Read the labels to decide which one will
work best. If your hands start burning and washing doesn't give
you relief, coat them in sour cream or vegtable oil for a minute
or so, then wash again with the degreaser.

Gloves are best, though.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 02-08-2005, 09:21 AM
David Hare-Scott

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know how to reduce the burn when working with hot peppers?
besides wearing gloves.
\

1) Wear disposable plastic gloves (maybe two pairs) and take them off
carefully allowing them to turn inside-out, then toss them. Be careful not
to touch sensitive parts of your (or anybody else's) body until you shed the
gloves. Re-using gloves (eg rubber, leather) is just a way for the irritant
to accumulate and end up on your body some time later.

2) If you get it on you (say your glove breaks) rub the affected part with
vegetable oil (or a good oily hand cream, even lard or margarine if you are
desperate), scrub it over the skin with a scrubbing brush thoroughly, then
wash off with plenty of warm soap and water.

This works because the stuff that burns is fairly oil soluble but not very
water soluble. The reason it is so hard to get off is because it dissolves
in the oil on your skin. This also explains why yoghurt cools a burning
mouth more than say cold water, the butterfat in the yoghurt dissolves the
irritant from the inside of your mouth and provides some relief.

David

Old 02-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Laura

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

All great tips. I'll just add that you should get any pepper oil off your
skin ASAP.

IME, after the pepper oil has been on my skin for a while, it seem to absorb
into the skin, and *nothing* will get it off. At that point, all I can do is
try to dull the pain and wait it out.

After an extremely painful experience with peppers a few years ago, I now
use disposable gloves whenever I handle peppers. As soon as I'm done I use
the oil/scrubbing approach on any skin that might have been exposed, just in
case.

Laura

Old 02-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Kathy

Am I the only one coughing from peppers? I don't mind handling them bare
handed, but cutting them for freezing makes me cough and gives me a worse
case of tears and sniffles than onions do. I have five to ten minutes
working time from first cut until I have to leave the kitchen for awhile.

Kathy

Old 03-08-2005, 04:39 AM
Dianna Visek

I use a baggie held by a rubber band on my pepper-holding hand. A 5%
bleach solution will heal the burning sensation if it gets on you
skin.

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Peppers inside peppers Chris Dutton Gardening 2 28-02-2006 05:19 PM
Help! Too many hot banana peppers! Bpyboy Edible Gardening 4 27-07-2003 12:22 AM
Hot weather tomatoes & bell peppers ? Gene S Texas 17 15-04-2003 03:45 PM