Old 03-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Chris Smolinski

Default Picking crunchy banana peppers?

My banana peppers are doing great this year, and I am already to the
point where I will have to pick and pickle some. When I have pickled
them in the past, they tend to get soft. Any suggestions on what to add
to keep the peppers crunchy?

--
---
Chris Smolinski
Old 03-08-2005, 07:31 PM
zxcvbob

Chris Smolinski wrote:
My banana peppers are doing great this year, and I am already to the
point where I will have to pick and pickle some. When I have pickled
them in the past, they tend to get soft. Any suggestions on what to add
to keep the peppers crunchy?

Adding epsom salt will help -- about 1/2 tsp per quart jar is probably a
good amount to start with. (no, that's not enough to change the taste
or give you The Runs) You could also try 1/4 tsp of alum.

I soak my cucumber slices in a fairly strong solution of epsom salt
before making pickles.

Also, try pouring hot brine over the peppers, seal, and then process the
jars in a hot water bath for 30 minutes at 180 to 185 degrees instead of
the usual 10 minutes at a rolling boil. (I think it's called the hot
water pasteurization method, and it's only good for pickles)

Best regards,
Bob

Picking (Bell) Peppers Higgs Boson Gardening 8 27-08-2013 12:18 AM
When to harvest banana peppers? Lawns 4 23-07-2005 02:39 PM
Yellow Banana Peppers Flake Gardening 2 15-06-2004 03:03 AM
Picking Peppers Mark Anderson Edible Gardening 4 09-08-2003 09:02 PM
Help! Too many hot banana peppers! Bpyboy Edible Gardening 4 27-07-2003 12:22 AM