Old 03-08-2005, 11:25 PM

Default GOING TO SEED

what is the proper or best way to get seed from vegitables?(i.e.
peppers, tomatoes, squash, eggplant, etc.) i have had hit and miss
luck. should you leave fruit overripen on the plant, or pick and deseed
and dry seed? can't seem to make it go my way all the time.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Lynn

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Tomatoes, squeeze the juice and seeds from a ripe tomato into a small jar
and add a little water to dilute it. Sit it aside somewhere that your
family won't find it and throw it away. Let it rot for a few days. Then
filter out the seeds and rinse them and dry on a paper towel.

I haven't done eggplant seeds.

Best regards,
Bob

Hi Bob, I saved tomato seeds before just from squeezing the tomato and
letting the seeds dry on paper towel. Why do you let it rot for a few days
in a bit of water? does it make it better/hardier?
thanks Lynn

Old 05-08-2005, 12:09 AM
zxcvbob

Lynn wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Tomatoes: squeeze the juice and seeds from a ripe tomato into a small jar
and add a little water to dilute it. Sit it aside somewhere that your
family won't find it and throw it away. Let it rot for a few days. Then
filter out the seeds and rinse them and dry on a paper towel.

I haven't done eggplant seeds.

Best regards,
Bob

Hi Bob, I saved tomato seeds before just from squeezing the tomato and
letting the seeds dry on paper towel. Why do you let it rot for a few days
in a bit of water? does it make it better/hardier?
thanks Lynn

It's supposed to kill disease organisms that might otherwise be on the
seeds. Or that's what I've read at a seedsaver site somewhere.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 05-08-2005, 03:40 PM
R. M. Watkin

Hi All,
reply at the end.
"Lynn" wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Tomatoes, squeeze the juice and seeds from a ripe tomato into a small

jar
and add a little water to dilute it. Sit it aside somewhere that your
family won't find it and throw it away. Let it rot for a few days. Then
filter out the seeds and rinse them and dry on a paper towel.

I haven't done eggplant seeds.

Best regards,
Bob

Hi Bob, I saved tomato seeds before just from squeezing the tomato and
letting the seeds dry on paper towel. Why do you let it rot for a few days
in a bit of water? does it make it better/hardier?
thanks Lynn

I have just left a tomato to dry up in the green house. When I have come to
it the next year, and removed the seeds they have allways germinated. I
think it is very hard to kill tomato seeds. you can even plant the whole
thing dry skin as well, they will germinate. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 05-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Lynn

Cool I never heard of it before. thanks
--
Lynn
OF+MMMMM

Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Jim Carter

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 18:09:36 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

Lynn wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Tomatoes: squeeze the juice and seeds from a ripe tomato into a small jar
and add a little water to dilute it. Sit it aside somewhere that your
family won't find it and throw it away. Let it rot for a few days. Then
filter out the seeds and rinse them and dry on a paper towel.

The only things I would add to this are to wait until there is a
slight smell of fermentation and a small area of white appears at
the surface. Dead seed float and live seeds sink. The seeds
might appear slightly grey.

Wash them off and let the good seeds dry on a coffee filter or
paper towel.

The seeds should be good for several years. The fermentation
kills a lot of diseases.

If rubbing the seeds together between your fingers pulverizes
them then you have overdone the fermentation.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a