Old 15-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Bills Garden

Default Bush Butternut?

What is the best bush, or compact growth variety of Butternut Squash? The
vining type I grew this year nearly took over the entire garden!

Regards,
Bill

Old 15-10-2005, 02:41 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Bills Garden" wrote:

What is the best bush, or compact growth variety of Butternut Squash? The
vining type I grew this year nearly took over the entire garden!

Regards,
Bill

You could always trellis it, or grow it on a fence? :-)

How well did it fruit for you?
--
Om.

Old 15-10-2005, 03:23 AM
SomeBuddy Else

"Bills Garden" wrote in message
What is the best bush, or compact growth variety of Butternut Squash? The
vining type I grew this year nearly took over the entire garden!

Regards,
Bill

Bill, I have planted a Butternut Bush-type from Burpee called "Burpee's
Butterbush" that plant stays close to home. The plant is manageable a bit
bigger than a zucchini. Requires nothing out of the ordinary in the way of
care; just a handful of balanced fertilizer worked in when planted. The
plants produced plenty of small to medium size bell shaped fruits; perfect
for the family needing 2 to 6 servings. I gave some away to the elderly
folks in the neighborhood and they appreciated the single serving size the
smallest ones provide. I like to poke with a knife and pre-bake them in the
microwave till soft. After they have cooled enough to handle, cut them in
half or quarter to remove the seeds then either scoop out the edible flesh
or peel with a paring knife. I then either freeze this prepped squash in a
freezer bag or container for later use or put in a small covered cooking
dish with a pat of butter, a spoonful of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon.
Then finish cooking either in the microwave or the oven. Fran

Old 15-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Bills Garden said:

What is the best bush, or compact growth variety of Butternut Squash? The
vining type I grew this year nearly took over the entire garden!

Burpee's Butterbush is the shortest vined butternut that I know of.

Early Butternut is semi-bush and quite good. (Spreads more than a
bush-type squash, but doesn't run all the way to the neighbor's yard.)

Ponca is supposed to be semi-bush, but I've never grown it.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 15-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Bills Garden

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bills Garden" wrote:

What is the best bush, or compact growth variety of Butternut Squash? The
vining type I grew this year nearly took over the entire garden!

Regards,
Bill

You could always trellis it, or grow it on a fence? :-)

Actually, I tried to grow them up my corn stalks this year with less than
good success.

How well did it fruit for you?

The variety was the heirloom Waltham strain, and it fruited the most poorly
of any variety I ever planted! Was really surprised by that.

Regards,
Bill
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
Nicholson

Old 15-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Bills Garden

"SomeBuddy Else" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

I really appreciate the wealth of information you provided in response to my
question.
Regards,
Bill

Old 15-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Bills Garden

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Bills Garden said:

What is the best bush, or compact growth variety of Butternut Squash? The
vining type I grew this year nearly took over the entire garden!

Burpee's Butterbush is the shortest vined butternut that I know of.

Early Butternut is semi-bush and quite good. (Spreads more than a
bush-type squash, but doesn't run all the way to the neighbor's yard.)

Ponca is supposed to be semi-bush, but I've never grown it.

That's two votes for the Burpee Butterbush! Thanks muchly for your help
regarding my question.

Regards,
Bill

(attributed to Don Marti)