Old 10-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Dianna Visek

Default how hardy is lemon grass?

How much cold can lemon grass take?

Thanks, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:16 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Dianna Visek" wrote in message
How much cold can lemon grass take?

Thanks, Dianna

Not very much, it is a tropical/subtropical plant.. A frost will burn all
the leaves off, with luck it will re-shoot from the roots in spring. Heavy
mulching will help it survive frost. I have no experience of snow or
freezing conditions but my guess is that it would probably die.

David

Old 13-11-2005, 04:15 AM
Dianna Visek

That's interesting. Some sites on the web say it can't go below 32.
Others say it's zone 9, which would mean down to 20.

Thanks, Dianna

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:16:36 GMT, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

.. .

Old 13-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Mike Blake-Knox

In article , Dianna Visek
wrote:
That's interesting. Some sites on the web say it can't go below 32.
Others say it's zone 9, which would mean down to 20.

Here's a data point:

When we lived in Durham, NC (USDA Zone 7) lemongrass normally died over
the winter but did survive one year.

Mike

Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant mynew bought lemon tree? [email protected] Gardening 2 25-05-2008 04:22 AM
Lemon-scented something - lemon-scented.jpg Ann Garden Photos 5 07-08-2007 06:09 PM
Lemon Grass volume Gardening 4 03-04-2007 09:03 PM
Lemon Grass giveaway Paul Mitchell North Carolina 0 13-11-2003 01:15 PM
Lemon Grass giveaway Paul Mitchell North Carolina 0 07-11-2003 07:23 PM