Old 29-01-2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
wildbill

Default Persimmon Recommendation for Fort Worth, Tx ?

My wife is wanting to plant a persimmon. She is looking for a variety
that is sweet as well as bug and disease resistant. Also we are not
sure about planting location, shade, full-sun, etc.

Any suggestions, recommendations, help are appreciated.

Bill W

Old 30-01-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

wildbill wrote:
My wife is wanting to plant a persimmon. She is looking for a variety
that is sweet as well as bug and disease resistant. Also we are not
sure about planting location, shade, full-sun, etc.

Any suggestions, recommendations, help are appreciated.

Bill W

Obviously you will prefer a japanese (khaki) persimmon. They are all
sweet,
and one of the few fruits that does well without spray. It is best
adapted to Zone 8
which is your zone. The only doubt I have is whether it will take the
100 degrees
summer heat. If it does, you will be all set. I suggest you call a
vendor (such
as Edible Landscaping) and go with what they think is most
heat-resistant.

Old 30-01-2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

Finding an area of Zone 8 in the South that doesn't run 100 deg temps (or at
least mid to upper 90s for stretches at a time) is quite a trick. Our
Japanese Persimmon grows in about 1/2 - 3/4 day sun in heavily mulched sandy
soil here in SC. It's only about 7' tall and produced 20 fruit this last
fall. We lost maybe 10 more to birds and squirrels. Overall, a pretty good
crop.
Gary

ps.com...

Old 30-01-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

come to think of it, I have seen several persimmons in
places where they get to 100F. So go ahead and get one.