Old 01-02-2006, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Seth

Default growing tomatos from seed

I have started growing some Big whoopers http://www.parkseed.com from
seed. I got their biodome and everything is going pretty good. The
plants are getting about 2" tall the problem is that they are falling
over, they seem really weak in the structure sense but other than that
they seem to look green and have two big leave. I think I am suppose
to repot them at 4 leaves but I could be wrong.

Thanks
Seth

Old 01-02-2006, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On 1 Feb 2006 04:50:39 -0800, "Seth" wrote:

I have started growing some Big whoopers http://www.parkseed.com from
seed. I got their biodome and everything is going pretty good. The
plants are getting about 2" tall the problem is that they are falling
over, they seem really weak in the structure sense but other than that
they seem to look green and have two big leave. I think I am suppose
to repot them at 4 leaves but I could be wrong.

How much light are they getting?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 01-02-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn

Yes repot them. I will tell you what I do. once the true set of leaves come
I pinch off the bottom two ( the very first leaves on the bottom) and bury
the plant up to the 4 leaves on an angle. I will do this again either when
it moves outside or if it starts to get leggy again. It makes the stem
stronger and nothing else changes.

--
Lynn

ups.com...

Old 01-02-2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Seth

It has been very overcast here and they don't get any direct sunlight.
It has been about 2.5 weeks since I planted them how much longer should
it take to get more leaves

Thanks

Old 01-02-2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On 1 Feb 2006 09:58:29 -0800, "Seth" wrote:

It has been very overcast here and they don't get any direct sunlight.
It has been about 2.5 weeks since I planted them how much longer should
it take to get more leaves

I think your problem is that the plants need more light, either direct
sunlight or artificial. Planting them deep won't help if they're not
getting enough light.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 02-02-2006, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

If they don't get enough light they get "leggy" and after they are about 4 -
6 inches tall, they fall over. Otherwise they might be dampening off. I
don't know what causes it for sure, but I think it is too much watering.
They just get very small stemmed when the stem enters the dirt and they fall
over.

If it is warm enough where you are, take them outside during the day.
Otherwise put them inside where they can get some sunlight (like in front of
a glass door on the south side of the house). You might hang a light about
4 - 6 inches from the tops of the little plants also.

Dwayne

ups.com...

Old 02-02-2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:24:17 -0600, "Dwayne" wrote:

If they don't get enough light they get "leggy" and after they are about 4 -
6 inches tall, they fall over. Otherwise they might be dampening off. I
don't know what causes it for sure, but I think it is too much watering.

A fungus.

Overwatering creates a favorable environment for the fungus to grow.
Sprinkling a little baby powder on the top of the soil, or using a
baking soda spray will help prevent damping off, too.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"