Old 24-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Jan

Default Auto vents?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a particular one or any
problems with using one?

We have an 8x6 aluminium greenhouse in a very sunny position so any
ideas on shading materials would probably be helpful too.

Thanks - never had a greenhouse before as you can tell :-)
--
Jan
Old 24-03-2003, 05:20 PM
George Shirley

I bought my auto vent from Home Depot a couple of years ago. It's
basically an eaves vent for a house, about 16X16 inches with an electric
fan and automatic shutters. The fan comes on by thermostat and then
blows the shutters open. I have it set at 100F and goes off at 80F, even
with the door open my fiberglas greenhouse can easily reach 120F in the
afternoon without the fan.

As for shade, I would suggest something like shade cloth, normally found
at a nursery supply house or on the web. Not knowing your climate I
can't make recommendations as to which shade cloth you need. I have some
40 percent shade cloth on order to cover a goodly part of my garden
(17X25 feet) and the greenhouse on the west side. I live in USDA Zone 9b
with summer temps often at or above 100F with 96 percent humidity. HTH

George

Old 27-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Mike & Tina

I've had good results with the Thermofor gas pressure automatic vent
openers on pre-existing conservatory roof vents. I got them from Jade
Mountain. I still need to put up double shadecloth during the summer.

Mike