Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Anna Merchant

Default Container Gardening

Hiyas all,

I have recently starting to grow my veges in containers I wouldnt have
thought of in the past. Our local supermarket gets all it's fish products in
polystyrene containers, and they give them to me for free. I have been
putting drainage holes in the bottom, and growing plants in them. They seem
to be going really well. Are there any considerations I should have for
fertilising them ? I always fill these with bags of compost I buy, not
potting mix. This is because a) potting mix is heaps more expensive than
compost, and b) they dont seem to mind it, and grow quite well. So yeah, any
thoughts ?

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

Old 30-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Mike Stickney

Anna,
You may find that mixing half compost and half washed sand gives better
results than pure compost. Good drainage is particularly important with
containers and accumulated nutrients need flushing out. To save costs I mix
half sandy loam and half washed coarse sand and add up to 20% compost to
this. For best results I then apply a highly soluble fertilizer fortnightly.
If you are organic, an organic "tea" can be used instead of the fertilizer.
Mike Stickney