Old 07-03-2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Container Gardening Resources and Information

Greetings all from Zone 7 Maryland where the temperature zooms from 10 to 70 degrees
in two days.

Several questions here..... I want/like/need start using shrubs in containers. Have
quite a selection, some arborvitaie, 'Emerald', 'Beckman's Gold - a globe
arborvitae', several 36" Leylands, a bunch of Encore Azaleas, some tree Roses,
and some multi blossom Rose Bushes.

So far a lot of the container plants purchased from the store fail within the first
year.... which suggests that there probably are a lot more factors in play....

Can anyone suggest some really good books and / or web resources dealing
with container gardening, not only flowers and veggies but also shrubs ?? I'd
like to get a 'bible' or single source for all the information, instead of having to
research different books and deal with different, and occasionally conflicting advice.

Common sense could answer some of the questions, but I wonder if there are recommended
ratios between plant type and container size. I know type of soil used is important
and need to start measuring ph. But what about moisture measurements, soil temperature
measurements. The probe type moisture meters are pretty useless and temperature will
build up in a container plant, instead of being wicked away when plant in the ground.

Also this is a temperate climate, with wide temperature swings.... how to effectively
winterize the pots... should I be pulling tubers and bulbs at the end of the season i.e.
peonies and cannas or just store the entire pot.

So those are a few of the questions that a good book/resource should answer.

I do have several large pots and purchased a bunch of 5 gal buckets from Home
Depot for $3.00 each... they will make nice planting containers and can either
be painted or stuck instead a large decorative container. What I'd like to do is
move the container plants around the landscape for decoration purpose and to
get an idea of how they will look when planted in different configurations.

Your suggestions and recommendations are appreciated... What books and
resources have you found invaluable for container gardening ??

Thanks in advance !!

Peter