Old 14-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Stuart Pedazzo

Default Soil for seeds

I have heard that seeds start better with a special soil designed just
for starting seeds. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any
such item.

I have the expanding pellets but would like to plant some in those
plastic containers you get plants in at a greenhouse.

What medium would you start seeds in and why?

Sincerely,

Stuart Pedazzo...but you can call me Stu!
Old 14-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Dwayne

I would just buy a bag of potting soil and use it. Seeds have germinated
for millions of years and that was before "potting Soil". Whether they
succeed or not depends on what happens after they sprout. Good luck.
Dwayne

Old 14-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 04:09:34 -0600, Stuart Pedazzo
wrote:

I have heard that seeds start better with a special soil designed just
for starting seeds. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any
such item.

I have the expanding pellets but would like to plant some in those
plastic containers you get plants in at a greenhouse.

What medium would you start seeds in and why?

I use seed starting mix, I buy it locally, as it is
available in every garden center/nursery in which I've ever
shopped (I'm in the USA).

It's also available online. Here's just one supplier:

https://www.territorial-seed.com/tes...ng/ZPT698.html

You can find more suppliers by Googling on 'seed starting
mix'.

Here's a recipe for making your own:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/garden/garden42.html

Pat
--
Pat Meadows
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
Old 14-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Dianna Visek

I use a sterile seed-starting mix. Usually they're made out of
ground-up peat moss, vermiculite and sometimes fertilizer. It's a
light medium which seeds like. More important: It's sterile, which
means no soil-borne diseases like damping off. You can get it at
Lowes or any garden center. I usually special order big bags, since
it's cheaper than the sizes normally carried.

It's also important to use clean pots. I use 5 oz. disposable plastic
drinking cups, with 4 holes poked in the bottom with an ice pick. If
you make holes in 2 at a time, they hold up better. They're a good
size for a plant, with no need for transplanting seedlings. They hold
up well til you get the plant in the ground. And you can write on
them with a glass-marking pencil. And they fit nicely in trays.

Best wishes, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Old 24-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

I have heard that seeds start better with a special soil designed just
for starting seeds. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any
such item.

I have the expanding pellets but would like to plant some in those
plastic containers you get plants in at a greenhouse.

What medium would you start seeds in and why?

I've had very good results with a 'seedstarting mix' from Gardener's
Supply Co. They're calling it something different now ("professional")
and it's more expensive, but you might take a look.

http://www.gardeners.com/default.asp

You *should* be able to find a seedstarting mix at most places that
carry potting soil, compost, etc. The advantage of the mix is
something very light and fluffy, free of disease, that doesn't easily
either sog or dry out.