Old 21-04-2006, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn Coffelt

Default Lettuce: really basic question

I know this is pretty basic, but hey, that's where I'm at.
I've never had much luck planting lettuce outside, 100 yards from north
Puget Sound's salt water. This year trying seeds started in the greenhouse.
Put two or three seeds in each hole. Germinated just great, but now should I
thin the plants to a single one in each hole? The two or three seeds in each
hole pretty much all sprouted, and now crowd together 1 1/2 or 2 inches
high, second set of leaves.
Oh yes, two types of lettuce, one a "Romaine" and the other a "leaf" ( if it
makes a difference)
Will probably put some outside in due time, and try my hand at
greenhousing some. If I could only keep the darned greenhouse daytime
temperature down!!!!
Old Chief Lynn

Old 21-04-2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn Coffelt

Yes, I think I can handle the actual thinning, its just that I don't know if
lettuce plants should be thinned to a single seedling in one spot or are two
or three in a single spot or clump OK? (romaine and leaf types)
Old Chief Lynn

Old 21-04-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
I know this is pretty basic, but hey, that's where I'm at.
I've never had much luck planting lettuce outside, 100 yards from north
Puget Sound's salt water. This year trying seeds started in the greenhouse.
Put two or three seeds in each hole. Germinated just great, but now should I
thin the plants to a single one in each hole? The two or three seeds in each
hole pretty much all sprouted, and now crowd together 1 1/2 or 2 inches
high, second set of leaves. [snip]

One plant per hole. Pick the most robust-looking and clip the other
one(s) off at the base. -aem

Old 21-04-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn Coffelt

"aem" wrote in message
oups.com...
One plant per hole. Pick the most robust-looking and clip the other
one(s) off at the base. -aem

Thanks, I got it! Heading for the greenhouse right now!

Old 13-05-2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Garden Gnome

Lynn Coffelt wrote:

I know this is pretty basic, but hey, that's where I'm at.
I've never had much luck planting lettuce outside, 100 yards from north
Puget Sound's salt water. This year trying seeds started in the greenhouse.
Put two or three seeds in each hole. Germinated just great, but now should I
thin the plants to a single one in each hole? The two or three seeds in each
hole pretty much all sprouted, and now crowd together 1 1/2 or 2 inches
high, second set of leaves.
Oh yes, two types of lettuce, one a "Romaine" and the other a "leaf" ( if it
makes a difference)
Will probably put some outside in due time, and try my hand at
greenhousing some. If I could only keep the darned greenhouse daytime
temperature down!!!!
Old Chief Lynn

Hi Lynn, I would leave the leaf lettuce and not worry about crowding. I
use the square foot method and most of my leaf lettuce is crowded. Thin
romaine to one plant per plug. If using the sfg method, plant four
plugs per square foot.

I hear you on the greenhouse! I have a 6' x 8' greenhouse that gets too
cold in the winter yet too hot July and August. One solution is to use
greenhouse cloth on the roof and bubble wrap on the north wall. You can
plant shading on the other walls if needed. The west wall is the worst
for me so I plant pole beans, clematis, and other vining plants in pots.
The vines help shade that wall when the sun is at its worse. I use a
small fan to keep air circulating and water frequently. Adding water
mass will absorbe some of the heat as will a deep layer of gravel on the
floor. HTH

--

Garden Gnome
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc