Old 31-05-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
richardg

Default Fertilizing tomatoes

I have read that it is a good idea to fertilize tomatoes plants when
they are starting to set fruit.
My tomaoes are in cages and are grown through holes in black plastic.
It is very difficult for me to scratch in dry fertilizer. Could I use a
liquid fertilizer instead (miracle gro?) and spray it at the base of
the plant.
Thanks in advance, Richard

Old 31-05-2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

richardg wrote:

I have read that it is a good idea to fertilize tomatoes plants when
they are starting to set fruit.
My tomaoes are in cages and are grown through holes in black plastic.
It is very difficult for me to scratch in dry fertilizer. Could I use a
liquid fertilizer instead (miracle gro?) and spray it at the base of
the plant.
Thanks in advance, Richard

I've always used Miracle Gro on my vegetables. I do believe Miracle Gro
has a liquid tomato fertilizer (18-18-21) but I find the regular
15-30-15 works quite well.

..
Old 31-05-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Claire Petersky

"richardg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read that it is a good idea to fertilize tomatoes plants when
they are starting to set fruit.
My tomaoes are in cages and are grown through holes in black plastic.
It is very difficult for me to scratch in dry fertilizer. Could I use a
liquid fertilizer instead (miracle gro?) and spray it at the base of
the plant.

Thought -- could you drive in a fertilizer spike through the plastic? I've
used these with tomatoes with success.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
nk.net...

"richardg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read that it is a good idea to fertilize tomatoes plants when
they are starting to set fruit.
My tomaoes are in cages and are grown through holes in black plastic.
It is very difficult for me to scratch in dry fertilizer. Could I use a
liquid fertilizer instead (miracle gro?) and spray it at the base of
the plant.

Thought -- could you drive in a fertilizer spike through the plastic? I've
used these with tomatoes with success.

Spikes need water to activate, so you might not get the desired results.

Have you considered foliar feeding?

In any event, go easy on the N or all you/ll have are lush vines.
---
TQ

Old 01-06-2006, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

richardg said:

I have read that it is a good idea to fertilize tomatoes plants when
they are starting to set fruit.
My tomaoes are in cages and are grown through holes in black plastic.
It is very difficult for me to scratch in dry fertilizer. Could I use a
liquid fertilizer instead (miracle gro?) and spray it at the base of
the plant.

Well, I tend to give my a good dose of Tomato-tone (by Espoma) when
transplanting, then foliar feed with Maxicrop (a seaweed spray) during the
season.

(attributed to Don Marti)