Old 04-06-2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
higgledy

Default hot pepper cracks

Each year my hot peppers grow and look great until they begin to ripen,
turning what ever color it is that they turn. Then the get these crack
lines on the exterior. They still taste great just don't look great.
What causes these cracks?

Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

higgledy said:

Each year my hot peppers grow and look great until they begin to ripen,
turning what ever color it is that they turn. Then the get these crack
lines on the exterior. They still taste great just don't look great.
What causes these cracks?

Jalapenos? They normally crack a bit when they mature.

Otherwise, all I could suggest would be to be careful with water. Aim for
consistant moistu don't let the plants get very dry and then flood them
with water.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 04-06-2006, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On 3 Jun 2006 19:25:50 -0700, "higgledy"
wrote:

Each year my hot peppers grow and look great until they begin to ripen,
turning what ever color it is that they turn. Then the get these crack
lines on the exterior. They still taste great just don't look great.
What causes these cracks?

Go he
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/p...024032752.html

Scroll down to the bottom, there is a picture of ripening
jalapenos with corking. Is that what you're seeing? If it is,
it's normal in some peppers. Some sites claim that corking is
desirable in Mexico, where the jalapeno originated, but no so
desirable to more appearance conscience Americans.

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 04-06-2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Deuteros

"higgledy" wrote in
oups.com:

Each year my hot peppers grow and look great until they begin to ripen,
turning what ever color it is that they turn. Then the get these crack
lines on the exterior. They still taste great just don't look great.
What causes these cracks?

I think it's due to inconsistant watering. If the peppers don't get a lot
of water then the skins will harden. If you suddenly flood them with water
the fruits will expand and the skin will crack.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FACE

On 04 Jun 2006 14:22:15 GMT, in rec.gardens.edible Deuteros
, in glistered weave writ large for all to see:

"higgledy" wrote in
roups.com:

Each year my hot peppers grow and look great until they begin to ripen,
turning what ever color it is that they turn. Then the get these crack
lines on the exterior. They still taste great just don't look great.
What causes these cracks?

I think it's due to inconsistant watering. If the peppers don't get a lot
of water then the skins will harden. If you suddenly flood them with water
the fruits will expand and the skin will crack.

One begins to wonder how vegetables and stuff ever grew in the wild. :-)
(Yes, I know it is all about cosmetic appearance.)

FACE

Old 05-06-2006, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"Deuteros" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"higgledy" wrote in
oups.com:

Each year my hot peppers grow and look great until they begin to ripen,
turning what ever color it is that they turn. Then the get these crack
lines on the exterior. They still taste great just don't look great.
What causes these cracks?

I think it's due to inconsistant watering. If the peppers don't get a lot
of water then the skins will harden. If you suddenly flood them with water
the fruits will expand and the skin will crack.

From what I/ve read, cracking or corking is a normal and it indicates the
pepper is ripe.
--
TQ

Old 05-06-2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Higgledy

Thanks for the responses. It cannot be caused by dry preiods followed
by a good watering because these pepper plants have never been left not
watered. It has to be normal.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FACE

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:55:47 -0500, in rec.gardens.edible Justin

FACE wrote on [Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:42:45 -0400]:
On 04 Jun 2006 14:22:15 GMT, in rec.gardens.edible Deuteros
, in glistered weave writ large for all to see:

"higgledy" wrote in
egroups.com:

Each year my hot peppers grow and look great until they begin to ripen,
turning what ever color it is that they turn. Then the get these crack
lines on the exterior. They still taste great just don't look great.
What causes these cracks?

I think it's due to inconsistant watering. If the peppers don't get a lot
of water then the skins will harden. If you suddenly flood them with water
the fruits will expand and the skin will crack.

One begins to wonder how vegetables and stuff ever grew in the wild. :-)
(Yes, I know it is all about cosmetic appearance.)

DID these varieties ever grow in the wild?

I seriously doubt that what grew in the wild had a whole lot of resemblance
to what we grow (or buy) today -- anymore than the wild forbears of a
guernsey milk cow has the same certain physical attributes.

FACE

Old 05-06-2006, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jon Shemitz

Justin wrote:

DID these varieties ever grow in the wild?

Some varieties of hot chile are pretty close to wild - as I understand
it, the pequins are pretty close to the root stock, more-or-less
undomesticated "bird chiles" that have been adopted in recent decades
by varietal fanciers.

--

..NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers http://www.midnightbeach.com/.net

Delphi skills make .NET easy to learn
Just printed, and shipping now.

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone? Marie Dodge Gardening 46 31-08-2008 06:39 AM
Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM