Old 13-06-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark

Default irrigation advice needed

I need advice.
Any help is very much appreciated.

I know I can put sprinklers, but I have a real bad experience with it.
One day, I was not home, my sprinkler system went bisurk, and when I
came back home my slope was gone.

It has cost me a lot of money and hsutles to fix the slope.
I have disconnected the irrigation so it does not repeat anymore.

What I need is effective way to water my garden when I do not spend too
much time.I can turn it on and off with no problem. I have time. Do not
need anything complicated and authomatic. But must be very reliable, so
it does not wash my slope away anymore.

At the same time I do not want go with a hose and manually water it. It
is too much to do even for me.

1. What kind of irrigation system would you recommend? What is the
name?
2. Where do I get it?

Old 13-06-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Mark wrote:

[...]

I just finished setting up a kickass system to water my eight raised
beds. I used sprinkler hoses (like a soaker hose but with a little hole
every foot or so in the hose - it sprays in whatever direction the hose
is laid and once in place, you can add a few extra holes to cover areas
that are missed). You can try soaker hoses but I found I'd need much
more length for the same coverage...so it really depends on the size of
the garden, I guess.

You could string the hose along to ensure maximum coverage. If you use
more than one hose, you can get a splitter easily enough and attach a
timer to the splitter. I set the timer for the early morning (between 5
and 7 am) - that way, if a timer decided to go beserk on you, you'd
catch it before you left in the morning. I haven't had a problem with
any of the timers (Yard Works from Canadian Tire).

I love the fact that I save at least an hour a day by not having to
water the beds. Well worth the investment.

..